MMS texts not working properly since updating to KitKat
gitonit2004

I used to be able to send and receive group texts although I would sometimes have to 'download' the group messages, which was a pain but at least I got the messages.  Since updating to KitKat on 5/21/14, I have been unable to receive group texts at all and any pictures are VERY slow in coming to me.  For the group texts, I will receive a notification but can never actually SEE the text no matter which way I go in to see the message.  With pictures, there will be the little (1) - or whatever number of pics I've received - at the bottom of the messaging icon, but the pictures don't show up at all, or they will come through after I turn the phone off and back on...which I don't do every hour of every day.  This is so annoying! 

I have seen other people in the forums having similar problems and they have recommended force stopping the messaging app, clearing the data...blah blah...but that doesn't work.  I did a chat with a Verizon rep earlier today for about an hour and still didn't get a fix to my issue before I had to sign off of the chat due to a meeting.  She had me delete all my text threads (which I wasn't a fan of), and doing the force stop, clear data, clear cache, etc. none of which worked.

This is making me not like my phone right now.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: MMS texts not working properly since updating to KitKat
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

gitonit2004,

Thanks for the details on what you have already tried. I want to make sure that we find a great solution for your issues and get you to love the phone again.

Are you using the normal text message application that came on the phone or are you using a 3rd party app such as Hangouts? Are you having issues with picture messages no matter where you are at? Or when you have these kind of issues are you connected to wi-fi?  Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
gitonit2004

Hi Kevin.  Thank you for your response.  I was using the normal text messaging application, not Hangouts.  I'm having issues with the picture messages no matter where I am at, on Wifi and on mobile data.  The Verizon tech I chatted with yesterday had me try both ways and should be documented in my account if you can access that information. 

I did try downloading a 3rd party app last night (Textra) and picture messages go fine through that app, but I still have the trouble with group messages.  I tried to send a group text to my husband (on an iPhone) and my cousin (on a Samsung) to test things this morning and my cousin received it and my husband didn't.  When my cousin responded it went to a single thread, not the group text. 

I would really like to just use my phone like normal, without having to find a suitable 3rd party app to make things work right with my messaging. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

gitonit2004 lets get those messages flowing! We'll get to the bottom of this and make certain that you use your phone normally! What zip code are you located in? Are you having trouble with standard text messages too? What kind of phone did you have before the Razr?

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
gitonit2004

Zip code - 27529

As far as I can tell, no trouble with standard texts.

Before the Razr I had a Kin.

I've had the Razr for about 1.5 years.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the information gitonit2004. I know its frustrating to have messaging issues but we are here to help. Are you using a 3rd party messaging application? If so, I recommend temporarily removing it. I also recommending deleting old/long text threads and old pics you no longer need. If you continue to have issues, a factory reset may help clear of minor issues. Keep us posted.

Kinquana_VZW
Follow us on twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
gitonit2004

Hi....like I said in an earlier post...I was NOT using a 3rd party messaging application.  I was using the standard messaging application that came on my phone.  As I also mentioned previously, I chatted with a Verizon rep who had me delete all of my message threads and it still doesn't work. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sorry about the confusion, gitonit2004. Thanks for trying all of those steps! Since both standard picture messages and group messages send/receive through our data network, I'd like to ask you to turn off your phone's WiFi (Settings>WiFi) and then go to www.speedtest.net and test your phone's cellular data connection. If it's unsuccessful, please try turning your phone off and taking your SIM card out for about 30 seconds before putting it back in and returning the power to your phone. Give the phone about 2 minutes after power up and try the test again with WiFi off.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
gitonit2004

Ok, I did the Speedtest with the WiFi off and the results are:  7.01 Download; 4.50 Upload and Ping is 108.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

gitonit2004,

Thank you for the results of the speed test! We definitely want your group messages and picture message to be able to send. Since the software update have tried a full factory reset of your device?  http://vz.to/1n4rz7a

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes