MOTO RAZR MAXX HD - Endless Boot Loop
G_Hosa_Phat

I have an old Motorola RAZR MAXX HD (the model from 2012) that I'm trying to revive to use as a security camera (using Alfred Camera by Zendesk). However, when I plug it into power, the green light at the top of the phone comes on for several minutes before it finally appears to try to boot, then it hangs at the red "eye" screen for several more minutes before it cycles through the whole process again: blank screen/green light for several minutes --> "Dual Core" screen for a short time --> red eye for several minutes --> start again

I've exhausted the limits of my Google-fu just to get to where I could do factory reset from the Android triage screen. The reset appears to have completed successfully and wiped all of the user and cache data, but the device continues to loop through this boot cycle. I was able to get to the AP fast boot menu but, from what I've read, that doesn't look quite "right". The issue on that screen is that it shows "Battery: Low", even though the phone has been constantly plugged in for two whole days now.

I've tried getting to Safe Mode, but I can't seem to get there. I've removed the SIM card since this device is intended for strictly Wi-Fi connection going forward. At this point, I'm wondering if there's any way for me to get this device to complete a normal boot cycle. Every "reboot" takes a good 10-15 minutes and I'm usually holding down buttons for so long that my fingers start to cramp up, so I'd really like to figure out something I can do without too much more of that.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: MOTO RAZR MAXX HD - Endless Boot Loop
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for such detailed information. Using your Moto RAZR Maxx HD Smartphone in the way you'd like to is very important. We've also noted your reference that your device's screen displays "Battery: Low" even though your phone has been plugged continuously in for two whole days. We've also noted your reference to having completed a factory reset of your device and that you're experiencing problems getting to safe mode for your phone. We appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've completed, and we'd be more than glad to work with you here. Let's first check your device's software version. This link will provide you with info to view it at http://spr.ly/6601G29eU. Please share the results with our team. We've also noted your reference that your phone is displaying its battery is low. Are you using a compatible charger with your phone? How are you charging it? (e.g., wall outlet, PC portal, etc.) Please check your phone's charging portal for debris as well as checking your charger's cord for fraying or damage. - RobertC_VZW

0 Likes
G_Hosa_Phat

Thank you, @robertc_vzw, for your response. Unfortunately, I'm unable to provide the software version using the linked instructions as they require access to the device's home screen which, as stated in my OP, I cannot get to since the phone never gets past the red "eye" screen. If there is another way to access that information, I'd be happy to provide it.

Regarding the charging method, I have long-since misplaced the original charging cable that came with the device, but I currently (still) have the phone plugged into a power strip connected to a standard wall electrical outlet using a USB / micro USB cable taken from a PowerA brand "play and charge" kit for my Xbox One wireless controller.

The micro USB port on the side of the phone appears to be clear of any debris. The cable itself is new without any apparent defects. I haven't attempted to do anything else with the device since posting here after completing the factory reset and accessing the AP FastBoot menu where I got the "Battery: Low" information. The device has been continuously plugged in for about a week now and simply continues to loop through the power cycle described above.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for all the detailed information, G_Hosa_Phat. We will need to review your account for further assistance. For that, please meet us in a Private Message. 

AnnaG_VZW

0 Likes
G_Hosa_Phat

Thank you for the response but, TBH, I can't imagine how accessing my personal account information would be in the slightest bit useful for this discussion other than to possibly check the status of a warranty - which I can tell you right now is long-since expired for this particular device. The device in question is approximately eight years old and at least two or more devices "back" in my personal device history (four or more if we count device replacements).

Additionally, I see no reason to engage in a chat via FB Messenger/Twitter DM that might potentially expose my CPNI data in an even more public way than what is already available through these forums. If there is a particular reason I'm overlooking that using Messenger/DM would actually be helpful, please let me know. Otherwise, I choose not to participate in that manner. If this is the only method you are offering to continue the discussion, it seems I will need to seek out alternate routes for resolving my issue. Thank you again.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

G_Hosa_Phat, 

We certainly understand. We like to review all options including accessing the account. Due to the device being out of warranty we recommend trying the software repair tool https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-116950/ and/or contacting Motorola directly. 

0 Likes