Marshmallow update for the Turbo?
WildApple1

Can you please advise as to when the Droid Trubo will be receiving the Marshmallow update?  The last update was in October on Lollipop.  This lag in pushing out updates for the Motorola phones is getting old.  Motorola has said the update is complete pending partner approval.  So, what's the hold up????

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Marshmallow update for the Turbo?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ask Motorola.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
porkychedwick
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'd love to know the answer to this question as well....I've already spoken to Verizon support about this and quite frankly they were clueless as to if/when the Original Droid Turbo would be receiving the update to Marshmallow. The Droid Turbo 2 began receiving their update last month and now the Droid Maxx 2 has started receiving theirs as well.

Here’s a pro tip on a Wednesday – stop buying Motorola and Verizon’s exclusive DROID phones if you care at all about software updates or security. I say that because Motorola and Verizon don’t seem to care about keeping them up-to-date, even as Google and the rest of the Android industry are at least doing their best to provide timely security patches. Not only are owners of these phones missing out on new features, but they are susceptible to non-patched security vulnerabilities that most phones are protected from.

In fact, it's gotten so bad that the Federal Government is stepping in!!! Feds Want To Know Why Android Updates Are So Slow

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Actually they are looking into it to find out how much time their found exploits tend to last.  See Apple and the whole FBI privacy thing going on.

Also they are trying to show they care about consumers... Notice the timing? Election period... FBI, privacy, and exploits?

0 Likes
porkychedwick
Enthusiast - Level 2

That may very well be true but that doesn't explain why Verizon has chosen to completely ignore any and all security updates for Android devices that Google releases on a monthly basis.... To say nothing of the fact that we're still waiting on that Marshmallow update in May of 2016 even though it's been out since October of 2015.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The problem... Motorola was sold off again. This isn't the first time. Google did the EXACT same thing when they purchased Motorola. They themselves dropped support, and not Verizon. Verizon unlike popular belief do not touch code like people percieve them to. If the manufacturer doesn't make the update then it isn't happening at all. Lenovo laid off a lot of Motorola workers so don't expect quick turnaround.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Various devices around the world even ones you may consider previous flagships just started getting updates this month to marshmallow or still waiting to get them... 

Of course manufacturers are not going to put a lot of resources into devices that will not produce then more money than their current devices and future devices.

0 Likes
porkychedwick
Enthusiast - Level 2

And various devices around the world also started receiving their updates as early as October and November of 2015....we're smack dab in the middle of 2016 and Verizon HAS NO IDEA when the Marshmallow update for the Droid Turbo is coming.....not even an estimate? And this of course says nothing of my other question as to why Verizon doesn't feel the need to incorporate the monthly security updates that Google releases for Android devices.

I could care less what Sprint, At&t or anybody else does with regards to their phones, I write a check out to Verizon each and every month and if they think that simply having the best network will somehow suffice for lackluster support after the sale then they're sorely mistaken.

Tidbits
Legend

The problem. You think Verizon has to give it to you when in fact it has always been up to the manufacturer and however long it takes them. You see other devices from their products get them and think they are the same or you should get it just as fast.

Sadly to say Motorola doesn't have the resources like they used to. Just look at Motorola warranty troubles.

0 Likes
porkychedwick
Enthusiast - Level 2

So i guess the moral of the story here is to avoid any and all Motorola devices from here forth, especially the "Verizon Exclusive" ones that are touted as flagships to avoid absolutely pathetic support after the sale.

0 Likes