Re: Marshmallow update for the Turbo?
porkychedwick
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think the saddest part of thiswhole ordeal is that Verizon has pretty much been silent on this whole issue...i mean, they have an exclusive Motorola-branded phone that they hype for sale and yet when it comes to even basic security updates, not to mention updates to the operating system, they act as if their hands are tied and Motorola is pulling all the strings...excuse me, but i find that hard to believe.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Of course not but manufacturers admitted this for the past 3 years. Carriers don't touch the code like people and the media spits out. Lenovo downsized Motorola as soon as everything is finalized. If Motorola isn't finished what can Verizon do? Make them work faster? Make them hire more people? So explain what can Verizon do?

Chances are you want them to eat the costs for you to switch, but BBB and the FCC complaints isn't going to help you due to above. You could switch carriers but the same thing will happen one way or another, and they won't give you an "out". You either wait or sell your device and switch to another device.

Your best bet is a Nexus or an iPhone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Porkychedwick

I know how important it is to get the latest and greatest updates. As soon as a manufacturer has completed their update, it is then tested thoroughly. This is to prevent customers having issues with an update. The last thing we want is several thousand phones all of sudden becoming inoperable. We do not have a time frame available as the updates are created by the manufacturer. To stay up to date with all available information, here is a great link.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/software-updates/

ChristopherM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand the need to have the latest update for your phone WildApple1. Here’s an awesome link to any news about the software updates for our phones. http://vz.to/1ltorEy

StevenM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
porkychedwick
Enthusiast - Level 2

I appreciate the responses and attempts to answer my question, but after looking at the link you provided showing "Verizon Updates" I'm only more upset at this point....looking at comparable phones that came out around the same time as the Turbo, HTC One M8, LG G4, Samsung Galaxy S5, I've noticed they all were updated most recently around February/March and the Droid Turbo last received an update in early October of 2015 with a basic security update. I hate to say it but Verizon/Motorola has dropped the ball big time with this one....According to the Motorola website,

This device will be upgraded to the Android 6 (Marshmallow) release of Android, pending partner support....sounds to me like the delay is on Verizon's end at this point.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

That's a generic message. The unlocked unbranded devices when 6.0 came out said the EXACT same thing. Partner support includes parts manufacturers. They need drivers and  firmware. I am going to use the Motorola Cliq as an example. Not sure if you can find this information anymore. The biggest delay for that device as said by Motorola was Sharp was taking too long to get them the display drivers. To top it off they never update the message if anything changes. Motorola hasn't had stability for the past 4 years. I have unlocked and unbranded devices from Motorola they dropped support for the Americas market(North and South) since Lenovo finally took over and people were laid off. Shoot this happened when even when Google purchased Motorola and they downsized. Google gave a crappy $100 to upgrade and that didn't help the fact people were still locked into a 2 year contract and had to wait and the offer didn't last long.

As I pointed out earlier carriers don't touch the code. They have to wait for Motorola before they can do any testing.

0 Likes
porkychedwick
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to give everybody a heads-up, i just downloaded a Security Update that looks like it was released today for the Droid Turbo that also includes improvements to call-quality issues....if nothing else i'm thankful for that even if it's not the Marshmallow update like i had hoped.

0 Likes
porkychedwick
Enthusiast - Level 2

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/05/13/original-droid-turbo-gets-update-isnt-marshmallow/

And as per the article, the author is pretty much saying that it's up to Verizon as to whether or not they want to push the update to Marshmallow for the original Droid......

I mention that because this phone is supposedly still getting the update to Android M, at least, that’s what Motorola’s support page for it says. Well, they aren’t 100% behind it with an accompanying note about it being upgraded “pending partner support.” In other words, if Verizon doesn’t want to help, they aren’t about to care either.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Go back to the beginning of the thread. That's utter BS because manufacturers already said otherwise and these fandroid sites don't bother listening to them.

Even when Google bought Motorola they themselves did what people like them said Verizon has control over. Google dropped support for nearly ALL their devices not just the Droid line.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Like I said if the manufacturer doesn't make the update how is Verizon going to push the update? It doesn't exist to be pushed out.

So you think Lenovo dropped support for almost ALL US devices has something to do with carriers when even when their unlocked and unbranded devices aren't getting an update either? Sorry don't buy that one bit.

0 Likes