Re: Marshmallow update for the Turbo?
Tidbits
Legend

Also like I said with the Motorola Cliq. The biggest delay was that the device drivers from Sharp took forever. I wish Motorola hadn't updated and purged a lot of their forums to show you pending partners is more than just carriers.

0 Likes
porkychedwick
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think the best bet in the future as it relates to receiving timely updates from phone manufacturers is to go with either the Nexus or Samsung product line as a few people on here have already suggested. While this won't all by itself won't make me switch from Verizon i'll most certainly steer clear of Motorola products in the future and i'll avoid "Verizon Exclusive" phones such as the Droid Turbo like the plague as there's little incentive by the manufacturer to provide much in the way of service for a rather limited-edition device available on only 1 carrier like the MotorolaDroid Turbo....tough lesson learned on my part but one I won't make again.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Droid Turbo is unlocked and can work on any carrier not just Verizon.  Just like with ANY device Verizon sells they are unlocked, and can be purchased outright. 

Samsung is notoriously slow when it comes to updates.  Right now the best manufacturer close to Google is HTC in terms of updates. 

There's little incentive for any manufacturer to update their older devices.  Unlike Apple for example which has iTunes and the App store helps them generate revenue for them to actually update their devices.  Android manufacturers don't have this.  This is why Samsung for example tries and replaces Google services to get people tied to their ecosystem, but they kept failing and slowly removed to appease Google.  A Nexus device for example you are stuck someone using Googles ecosystem where they generate revenue using your data you agree to give them as well as their Play Store stuff. 

0 Likes
porkychedwick
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not really looking to move to another carrier....i like Verizon but this whole situation with Motorola has soured me their product line. I'll simply go back to either HTC or Samsung as I've owned both and had good experiences with them. Or perhaps I'll give Nexus a try now.... It's a shame too because I've really loved my Turbo phone up to this point but I don't care one bit how Motorola has handled the Marshmallow situation.

Tidbits
Legend

Yes it is bad, but I can't really blame them due to their circumstances. Lenovo took over and fired a large portion of their staff all while moving their front office. They are having trouble in a lot of areas now.

0 Likes
degranjo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Motorola Support - Find Answers | Motorola Mobility, Inc.

Saying Motorola has gotten this update out on different carriers on older phones, I would place the blame squarely on Verizon for not finding the time to test this update on an older phone.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Of course because other older phones means nothing. They abandoned the US market for the most part. I have a couple of Moto E that will not get updates anymore. They are going to update the international unlocked but not the North America unlocked. Just some food for thought. Can speculate all you want, but downsizing and dropping support for numerous devices doesn't mean you will get updates faster or it's another companies fault. Do you have proof that they gave it to Verizon and it passed all the testing including the PTCB, and by the FCC? Just a canned response from a low level rep, and if you asked someone within the development team they beat around the bush and don't say they gave it Verizon as some food for thought

0 Likes