Monitoring My 12 y/o's Text Messages
Anyar
Enthusiast - Level 1

Added  my 12 y/o to our family share plan, and gave her my DROID Incredible for her birthday.  Having major problems with her / some boy texting one another. Is there any application that will allow me to view/monitor the text messages between them using my DROID Razr?  I'm not generally a prying parent, but I'm really worried over this because I believe he is a lot older than she is.  Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Monitoring My 12 y/o's Text Messages
budone
Legend

It can be done if you want to  sneak behind their back. Get their phone and add SMS Backup App to their device, set it to automatically back up SMS's. And use an email account of yours to send all the texts to.

A better idea (in my opinion) is, since you are the parent, set rules. You get to take the device and look at texts at anytime. Let them know if the amount of texts listed on the phone do not match the number shown online, all texting will be blocked, or the phone will be taken, or a number of other consequences.

Kids need to learn there are negative results by not following the rules. They will respect the parent more by working with them this way than sneaking around to get messages.

My two cents

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

you have 2 options

1. get an app that forwards all messages they send/receive to your phone

2. ask them to see their phone, compare all messages with timestamps on your online account

if theres a missing message, then disable texting

of course there is email too and third party apps that you will never know what they send/recieve

0 Likes
budone
Legend

It can be done if you want to  sneak behind their back. Get their phone and add SMS Backup App to their device, set it to automatically back up SMS's. And use an email account of yours to send all the texts to.

A better idea (in my opinion) is, since you are the parent, set rules. You get to take the device and look at texts at anytime. Let them know if the amount of texts listed on the phone do not match the number shown online, all texting will be blocked, or the phone will be taken, or a number of other consequences.

Kids need to learn there are negative results by not following the rules. They will respect the parent more by working with them this way than sneaking around to get messages.

My two cents

0 Likes
budone
Legend

mdram4x4 wrote:

you have 2 options

1. get an app that forwards all messages they send/receive to your phone

2. ask them to see their phone, compare all messages with timestamps on your online account

if theres a missing message, then disable texting

of course there is email too and third party apps that you will never know what they send/recieve

Beat me to it....again!

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

Smiley Happy

i think the board needs a parenting forum

Anyar
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, mdram4x4.  An app is actually what I'm looking for.  Taking the phone from her to view messages doesn't work as she deletes.  I truly want to trust her but it's the boy I'm more worried about.  Thanks, I will search the internet for apps.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Yes, there are apps which you can put on the phone. Searching in the Android Market with "SMS monitoring" came up with the following along with others

SMS Tracker Agent

Phone monitoring Pro+

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

of course whats to prevent her from turning the app off

0 Likes
Anyar
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks budone.  This actually sounds like a very good idea.  I will search the net for an SMS backup app.  I have set rules but rules don't seem to be working.  I want her to have a phone for her security/safety when she's out, but 300 text message to this young man is becoming far too worrisome LOL.  Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
Anyar
Enthusiast - Level 1

True. Fortunately, I don't think she's that technologically astute.  Fortunately, I work in IT so I have a little advantage over her, plus I believe I can also hide any app so she can't see it.  LOL

0 Likes