Try these directions, they are a bit more explanatory.
1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL UP + VOL DOWN KEY together + POWER KEY .
2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS
3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to SELECT
Tip: If the device reboots, you may have waited to long to make a selection, you will need to begin the process again.
4. The device will display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress ( logo with Exclamation mark)
5. Press and hold the VOL DOWN key for 5-10 seconds
6. While still holding the VOL DOWN key tap and release the VOL UP key.
No combination of Power + volume up or down will get it back on? If that's the case, you may have had an update installation error and might need a warranty (if still under) replacement.
I did that, phone turns off. Then turns back on with the M logo, and hear the "DRRRROOOIIIIDDDD" voice and nothing. i guess the phone is on, just the update screwed up the display perhaps?
It may have done more than just mess with the display. I have had 3 bad OTA updates. 2 replacements. 1 Year. For just that reason alone.
Hi kelsang! My apologies to hear of the trouble you're experiencing with your screen not turning on! That is certainly annoying. Let's try to see if your phone will respond to an alternative reset. http://vz.to/1DzM5kZ Thanks and keep us posted! If not, and there hasn't been any physical or liquid damage, we can review replacement options.
Follow us on Twitter @VZW Support
Thank you for replying. I followed your step. However, I got only till Step 3. There's no "Droid triage screen". Just a black screen with the following in white letters :
AP Fastboot flash Mode (S)
eMMC Info: Size 16G
To return to normal mode - first press power key to power down
Device is LOCKED, Status Code: 0
OK to Program
That's what I got. Everytime I tried Step 4, the phone turns off and I went back to Step 3 and the above shows up.
My Razr Maxx is old. It has a broken screen, and a very abused frame, but it works great. If there's still a replacement option, I'll be grateful.