Not receiving SOME messages in group text conversation (Droid Razr Maxx HD)
ccarroll500

I was involved in an extensive group text conversation today - 6 other people including myself, and over 50 messages. I received some of the messages fine, some were delayed a few hours but eventually received, and some still have not been downloaded, over 8 hours later. For the ones that I haven't received, I can see that they're there, with a "Download" button, but if I click that I get a "Couldn't download message" notice 10-30 seconds later.

It doesn't seem to depend on who sent the message - for each of the other 6 people involved in the conversation, I've successfully received at least one message from each of them, and there's at least one message from each of them I haven't been able to download.

It doesn't seem to depend on when the message was sent - the ones I've received are interspersed, chronologically, with the ones I haven't been able to download.

It doesn't seem to depend on whether I'm connected to WiFi - for most of the day while this was going on I was not connected to WiFi; later I connected to WiFi, which made no difference. Mobile data is on. I'm able to browse the web (with or without WiFi) and make phone calls.

It doesn't seem to matter which messaging app I use - I tried 5(!) different apps, with the same effect on each. Next SMS (formerly known as Handcent, which is my default app); the stock Droid messaging app; Textra; Chomp; and Verizon Messages+. (The only difference being that Textra and Chomp do not provide a "download" button for the unreceived messages.) For each, I tried setting the app to be the default messaging app, rebooting the phone, and allowing it time to download the missing messages on its own; no luck with any of them. All apps were the latest versions. I've now uninstalled all but the stock messaging app, with no change.

I'm on a Droid Razr Maxx HD running Android 4.4.2.

Help??? Not only is it bad to be missing these messages, it's frustrating to try to follow a conversation when you can't see half of the messages!!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Not receiving SOME messages in group text conversation (Droid Razr Maxx HD)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand how it can be frustrating when you are not receiving all of your messages ccarroll500. We will work together to eliminate that frustration and get this issue resolved for you. Are you having trouble receiving any other messages or is it only the messages in this group? Are the other members of the group using iPhones? Are the messages that you were not able to download text messages or did they have attacments such as a picture, video, or document?
RashadM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
ccarroll500

Thanks for your assistance. So far, it appears to be only messages in this group; I engaged in a much smaller group conversation (2 other people, 3 messages) a few days ago without problems.

At least one other person in the group is using an Android phone; I don't know what everyone else has.

The missing messages seem to be mostly text messages judging by the reported size (1-2 KB), one may be an image (30 KB). Also worth noting is that one of the successfully delivered messages included an image.

0 Likes
ccarroll500

Hello?  Any word on this? It's happening again today!! Another group text conversation with the same set of 6 other people. Some texts come through OK, some texts come through but significantly delayed (around 2:00 I received one that was sent about 1:15 - that's just a short text MMS, no images or other attachments), and some texts fail with a "message not delivered" error. Those in the last group leave a "download" link which just gives the same error again if I try to download the undelivered message.

Plus, I **STILL** cannot download the messages sent two days ago which went undelivered.

0 Likes
ccarroll500

Message sent by someone else 1:50, received by me 2:36. 46 minutes.

0 Likes
ccarroll500

Message sent by someone else (not same person as previous message) 1:51, received by me 2:43. 52 minutes.

0 Likes
ccarroll500

Message sent by same person as in #5 1:52, received by me 2:50. 58 minutes.

0 Likes
ccarroll500

Correction, person who sent message in #6 is not the person who sent the message in #5 or #4.

0 Likes
ccarroll500

Message sent by someone else (not person who sent #4, 5, or 6) 1:53. Undeliverable error message received 2:47, 54 minutes. I had successfully received messages from this person earlier in the day.

0 Likes
ccarroll500

Will start identifying various senders by initial. Message sent by "S" (also sent message in #5) 1:53, received by me 2:58. 65 minutes. (All times EDT)

0 Likes