Only connecting at 3G today in same location where 4G LTE was always available
HomeCookN

Just got this 4G phone a few days ago and so far I have been pleased with it. At home it has always connected at high--4G/LTE--speeds but today the little icon on the status bar shows 3G instead. Is there anything I could have changed to make it connect at only 3G? Is there a way to find out what networks are up/available for me at a given location?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Only connecting at 3G today in same location where 4G LTE was always available
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Couple more trouble-shooting things:

- Another free APP - "OpenSignal". There is a Cells tab, if you click on the cell you are connected to, it will tell you what type of connection it is. For example, the one I am connected to right now say Type: LTE-4G  ... you can scroll through the list, clicking on them 1 at a time, and see when 4G "broke" ...

- Also, a free Moto App that "restores" your 4G Settings:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.android.restoreapn.droidrazr

Good luck

View solution in original post

Re: Only connecting at 3G today in same location where 4G LTE was always available
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Make sure you didn't change th following:

Menu / Settings / Wireless & Network Settings / Mobile Networks / Network mode -    must be "CDMA/LTE" for 4G ...

Otherwise there may be a Verison tower issue going on ...  I'm not aware of an APP to check 4G availability ...maybe someone else can chime in about that?

Cody21
Master - Level 2

PS, there's a Free app in market called "4G TEST" ... download it and run it ...   I'm playing with it now to see what it provides.

Cody21
Master - Level 2

Couple more trouble-shooting things:

- Another free APP - "OpenSignal". There is a Cells tab, if you click on the cell you are connected to, it will tell you what type of connection it is. For example, the one I am connected to right now say Type: LTE-4G  ... you can scroll through the list, clicking on them 1 at a time, and see when 4G "broke" ...

- Also, a free Moto App that "restores" your 4G Settings:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.android.restoreapn.droidrazr

Good luck

HomeCookN

Thanks a lot, Cody21. I'm going to start by trying OpenSignal. I'll post anything interesting I find out. That Cells tab sound like just what I want to see.

0 Likes
HomeCookN

Well first of all, I left my phone charging for a while and when I went back to use it, the 4G signal had magically returned. In the meantime I had found a reasonable, if dated, explanation about my problem here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/12/19/this-is-why-your-verizon-galaxy-nexus-or-other-4g-lte-vzw-ph...

I installed OpenSignal but then uninstalled it because when I removed most of its permissions, the app became disabled and simply showed the signal strength and direction. I don't think I want an app that prevents the phone from sleeping.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Cody Correct, good Suggestion, An i got it Bookmarked an Following thanks for the Info.. b

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

HomeCookN wrote:

Well first of all, I left my phone charging for a while and when I went back to use it, the 4G signal had magically returned. In the meantime I had found a reasonable, if dated, explanation about my problem here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/12/19/this-is-why-your-verizon-galaxy-nexus-or-other-4g-lte-vzw-ph...

I installed OpenSignal but then uninstalled it because when I removed most of its permissions, the app became disabled and simply showed the signal strength and direction. I don't think I want an app that prevents the phone from sleeping.

not sure what you mean by "prevents phone from sleeping" ...  After you run tha APP to check for cell towers or whatever, you simply EXIT the APP (and turn off GPS) ...   Are you saying that after installing OpenSignal your phone no longer goes into Sleep mode?

0 Likes
HomeCookN

When I installed the OpenSignal, it displayed a permissions list showing 6-8 types of authority it wanted. There were various choices/levels available for each of them, e.g., there were 3 options for when it would be allowed to transmit my location back to be stored in its signal database. One of the permissions it asked for was to prevent phone from going into sleep mode. I denied that one, then installed it. But as I mentioned, most of its controls were disabled. Not a big deal Cody; looked cool and everything but I don't want to give up control of when the phone sleeps. And btw, I've had 4G LTE constantly since it came back yesterday afternoon. I appreciate your help, Buddy.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

@HomeCookN Another App you can try is Sensorly it shows Maps Coverage Maps for all the Carriers CDMA WIMAXX LTE Basically all of them. Give it a look Smiley Happy b33

Open signal is good app but you got know how to Use it:  IF not it can be Really confusing  Just a heads Up!! b

0 Likes