Phone keeps dropping calls
yeedle13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Everyone,

My Droid Razr Maxx HD keeps dropping calls (at least once a day) even when I have full 4G service. I initiate the call with no issues, and after a minute or two the call will drop, the singal indicator will show no signal and then after about 20 seconds the signal will pick back up to full service.

Some facts:

I have done a factory reset - no luck

I have replaced the sim card - no luck

I have replaced the phone and I am still having issues with the new phone which doesn't make sense to me.

VZW sent technicians to my area (which I told them shouldn't matter as I drop calls everywhere, NYC, NJ LI...) and they said it must be a phone issue.

Not sure what else to do. You can understand my hesitation about getting a new droid razr maxx hd from Verizon as I have already tried that route but to no avail (however that's the only option they said I have).

anyone have any suggestions (besides switching carriers, which might be my next route)?

Thanks!

Labels (2)
Re: Phone keeps dropping calls
B33
Legend

Have you tried using the phone in Safe Mode you may an App interfering, Place the phone in Safe Mode and try and make a Call if the issue either subsides or Stops then it's time to start removing the apps you have on the phone..

Give this a try and let us know:..  b33

0 Likes
yeedle13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi B33 - thanks for the response.

I am not sure what safe mode is for android or how to use it, but I have performed a factory reset and before reinstalling all my apps, I used it for a day or two to test it (with only pre installed apps) and it still dropped calls. this leads me to believe that its not an app issue,.

Any other ideas?

0 Likes
B33
Legend

This is how you Run your Razr in Safe Mode:..

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=50079

Safe Mode temporarily disables all apps that have been installed via Google Play. Performing this troubleshooting step is necessary to determine whether a 3rd party app is the cause of an Operating System / App issue. Safe Mode should always be performed prior to a hard (factory) reset.

Enable Safe Mode
Disable Safe Mode

Enable Safe Mode

1. Power the device off.
    Note Press and hold the Power button (located on the right edge) then select Power off.
  2. Power the device on.
    Note Press and momentarily hold the Power button.
  3. When the Motorola screen appears, simultaneously press and hold Volume Up/Down keys.
  4. Continue to hold the Volume Up/Down keys until Safe mode appears in the lower left.
  5. While in Safe Mode, remove the most recently installed apps.
  6. Power cycle the device then attempt to use the device.
  7. If the device works properly, install apps one at a time to identify the app causing the problem.

Top Disable Safe Mode

1. Power the device off.
    Note Press and hold the Power button then select Power off.
  2. Power the device on.
    Note Press the Power button.
0 Likes
B33
Legend

yeedle13 i wasn't for sure if you had the Regular Razr or the HD model This is how you Run in Safe Mode for the HD models of the Razr and Razr Maxx 

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=66528

Safe Mode temporarily disables all applications that have been installed via Google Play. Performing this troubleshooting step is necessary to determine whether a 3rd party application is the cause of an Operating System / Application issue. Safe Mode should always be performed prior to a hard (factory) reset.

Note With Safe Mode enabled, test device and app functionality. If the previous issue fails to occur, the cause has been isolated to a 3rd party application and all recently installed / updated applications should be uninstalled. With Safe Mode disabled, reinstall then test each application, one at a time, to identify which is causing the problem.

Enable Safe Mode
Disable Safe Mode

Enable Safe Mode

Preferred method
Alternate method

Preferred method

1. Press and hold the Power button.
  2. Select and hold Power off.
  3. From the Reboot to safe mode screen, select OK.
    Note Allow several minutes for the device to power off and restart into Safe Mode.
    Note Upon reboot, Safe Mode appears in the lower left.

Top Alternate method

1. Ensure the device is powered off.
    2. Select Power off.
    3. Select OK.
  2. Press and hold the Power button until the Motorola logo appears then release.
  3. With the Motorola logo onscreen, press and hold the Volume down key.
  4. Continue to hold the Volume down key until Safe Mode appears in the lower left of the screen then release.
    Note This may take up to a minute or more.

Top Disable Safe Mode

2. Select Power off.
  3. Select OK.
    Note Allow several seconds for the device to power off.
  4. Press and hold the Power button until the Motorola logo appears then release.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

yeedle13, I'm sure this situation is frustrating. You have done many of the steps that we would have you perform from a troubleshooting perspective. By doing the hard reset and waiting to install the apps again is another great way to complete troubleshooting.
We need to determine why these calls are dropping once and for all so you can stay with us.
I need you to update the PRL by powering off/on. Once that has been done, please check the signal strength via Settings>About Phone>Status>Tap on Network type and strength to provide me with the Network values for 1x & 4G.
Has a resoultion ticket been submitted for this problem?

Tamara H.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
yeedle13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the help with the safe mode - didn't know android had that.

Anyway unfortunately I dropped a call today while being in safe mode - with full signal. I was on a call for about 15 minutes and then out of nowhere it dropped. After about 20 seconds it picked back up to full 4G signal and I placed the called again.

Any other ideas?

B33
Legend

yeedle13  just on hunch what is your Networks Mode set on ? if it's on Global switch it to LTE / CDMA  to get to there go to Settings Data Usage right under that Tap More > Tap Networks > Tap Network Mode then Switch to what i mentioned give that a Try.. see if that improves the signal and the dropping of the Calls.. O once you have checked that setting Just hit the Home button and do a Power Cycle.. Let me Know if that helped  b

yeedle13
Enthusiast - Level 3

The signal strength says the following:

1x = -51dbm

4G = -65dbm

I am sitting in a conference room all day in NYC (6th floor) and I just dropped a call (which led me back to this board to see if anyone has posted any other solutions). As you can see my signal is pretty good and I have literally not moved all day so not sure why my call would drop. I had perfect 4G service, I was on the call for 15 minutes and then it dropped. After about 20 seconds the signal picked back up and I was able to call the person back.

Yes I am very frustrated as I have tried every method that was asked of me during the almost 10 times that I have called customer support (so I would hope they have a ticket for me).

I would really like this phone to work as I love the battery life (the reason I got it when newer phones were available), but I am at a breaking point. I have never had a problem with Verizon in the past but you can understand, based on my experience with this phone and customer support dealing with it, that another carrier is looking better every dropped call.

Thanks

0 Likes
yeedle13
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am on LTE / CDMA as that is what a Verizon tech support said as a possible solution to my problem. However I have dropped calls on both networks.

Just to clarify, I don't have a problem with signal as I usually have pretty good signal and when the call drops is not a signal issue. I can have full bars and then the call would drop. I understand that it can be an underlying signal issue but it has not been the case where I have had poor signal and that is what caused the drops.

Again thanks for all of the help!

0 Likes