Possible update solution for some Jelly Bean issues on Razr Maxx
mrfrownyface

I bought a Razr Maxx used two weeks ago and wanted to a post a possible solution to the broken Jelly Bean update. My Razr Maxx (practically new) was slow, lagged, and gave me about 10 hours of battery life. Also, my Wi-Fi was horrible just 10 feet from the wireless router and it ran hot.

Before I chucked it for a used S3 I decided to do what others had done. Keep in mind, the phone had been previously factory reset after the JB update had been OTA'ed to the unit a few months ago. It was put in a drawer as the person bought a new phone.

So to be clear: It had gone through a factory reset but without clearing internal memory and had serious issues. I had cleared the Dalvik cache but it didn't help. Here's what fixed my phone:

I did a battery recalibration. This can be done by running the phone down to zero. Shutting it off and charging it overnight. This may have to be performed twice.

Backed up my files, removed the mSD card and from the OS, erased the internal storage. I also went into the Settings / Privacy and set Automatic Restore to off.

I cleared the Dalvik Cache again.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/232462-how-wipe-cache-without-doing-factory-reset.h...

I  booted into safe mode.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=50079

From the OS within safe mode, I performed a factory reset and had it clear the internal storage again.

Started the setup process.

Cleared Dalvik Cache again.

The result is a smooth "buttery" feel (well, as smooth as this platform can offer) no massive lagging like before where the phone would just lock up for five seconds, no over heating, WiFi is seemingly normal and battery life is Maxx instead of Min. To give you an idea, the phone had been on light use and on for maybe 13 on battery when I did the reset. I did the hard reset from a 65% battery and reinstalled all the apps over WiFi and reconfigured. At 2:30 a.m. it was at 1 percent so I set the screen to 100% brightness and played a video until it died about 3 a.m. Basically the screen was on and the phone being used from around 9 p.m. until 3 a.m. after coming off the charger at 8 a.m. the previous morning.

Will this work for you? I don't know but I know the Jelly Bean in place upgrade on this phone is pretty flaky from the complaints.

If your phone has been turned into a pile of junk by the update, you have nothing left to lose unless you're just using it as a bargaining chit to get a new phone from VZW.

Good luck to anyone who tries it.

If you are trying to diagnose battery issues, I recommend GSAM.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Possible update solution for some Jelly Bean issues on Razr Maxx
marcus01
Enthusiast - Level 2

>> Duplicate post removed for cross-posting violations per the

See for original message <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes