Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Potential Solution to Droid Turbo Wi-Fi Issues
HarryHomeowner

All - I recently upgraded my Droid Razor M to a Turbo and experienced the "dial-up speed" wi-fi issues that many have posted here and other forums.  The issue I had was the Turbo was the only device in my house that when connected to my wo-fi, performed on par with my ancient DSL service (varying from 1.5 Mbps to a peak of 3.5 Mbps down if even that, and below 1 Mbps up).  My current internet provider is Cox Cable Premier service - 100Mbps.  Now the only device in the house that achieves the triple digit speed is my Dell tower, direct wired to the router.  All other wi-fi phones and tablets achieved anywhere from a low of 9 Mbps to 30 Mbps down and 5 Mbps to 15 Mbps up using the Ookla Speedtest app on all devices.  The Turbo did not achieve these numbers on wi-fi, but did render speeds in the 30 Mbps on 4G LTE (I live 0.3 mile from two towers).  I knew something was gravely wrong when during the Turbo activation the download estimate for the YouTube app was 2 hours!  5 Hours for Amazon Kindle!  I don't think so!  It's sad when the old phone (Razor M) performs BETTER than the new one it replaced!

I ended getting a replacement because we (both Verizon and I) though the phone was defective.  If I only knew then what I now know I could have saved a week of pain and agony - quite the time-sucking activity figuring out why your new phone performs worse than older generation devices.

I received the second phone only to have the same issue.  After long calls to Verizon tech support, reading numerous online forums regarding Droid Turbo wi-fi issues ad nausium and not finding any "solutions" that  improved wi-fi performance, I finally hunkered down and went into my Netgear WNDR3800 router and started changing config options one-by-one.  Short story is the 3800 is a dual band router, and when I changed the Netgear defaults on each channel's mode to "legacy" - up to 54 Mbps - voila!  The darn thing actually worked MUCH better!  My son and wife both have new iPhone 6 and both returned in the 30 Mbps down BEFORE I changed the above settings.  Apparently Motorola and Apple use different Wi-Fi chips, the former must use a version that cannot deal with the newer router settings.  Apple's must be smart enough to ignore and use what it needs.

Needless to say, this is the LAST Motorola phone I will ever buy.  There is absolutely no reason for this situation.  It's a shame because I really liked my Razor M when it came out and everything "just worked" - oh right, that's Apple.  😉  I had high hopes for the Turbo - glad it is fixed and I will trade in as soon as I am allowed to without taking a bath financially on it.

Would love to hear if any other Droid Turbo owners have had similar issues.  Also what about other Droid maker's phones? Any similar issues, or am I just the lucky lottery winner here?

Best regards,

A (soon to be) Former Moto Owner

Labels (1)
Re: Potential Solution to Droid Turbo Wi-Fi Issues
Ann154
Expert
Expert

Personally I would have suggested working on the router before replacing the phone after my own experience with Samsung and HTC device before I got my current Motorola phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Potential Solution to Droid Turbo Wi-Fi Issues
Myoung01

I have a turbo phone too. My phone used to be super fast on my wifi.. I have like 40mbps. About 9 months ago it got really slow. I have had my internet provider out here 3 times and can't seem to find anything wrong on their end. Called Verizon and they had me do a matter reset. So I backed everything up, did the reset, phone is slower now then before, I lost all of my contacts, I'm one furious guy right now. I logged into cloud to download my contacts and they were all there and about three seconds later they all disappeared forever. Hope they find a solution.. I'm kind of thinking about an I phone too for my next phone

0 Likes