Question regarding data usage & text/pictures
RyanAZ752
Enthusiast - Level 2

Does sending pictures and text take up data?. I'm currectly paying for "unlimited text/pictures" and I've noticed that whenever I send a picture or use text, my data usage keeps going up. I'm also on my wi-fi connection of 54mbps.

What's the point of me paying for unlimited text/pictures if I'm being charged data for it?, especially when I'm on a wi-fi connection but it keeps taking from my data instead of my wi-fi connection!.

Also I've been noticing that my data keeps going up 24/7, I have everything turned off, and all my syncs are turned off and its still using my damn data hooked up to wi-fi as well.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Question regarding data usage & text/pictures
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Picture message sent via text message will always go through the celllular data connection.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

shouldn't be, are you on wi-fi all the time or mixed with 3g/4g?

sounds like you think you're on wi-fi but it isn't auto sensing, switching over to wi-fi & you're using data but with an unlimited plan why worry.

upgrade to a new phone & you'll get your wish, you'll be on a 2g plan for the same $30.

if you're out & about, you're using data whether on internet, using email or texting with pics & that's why your data amount is going up.

0 Likes
RyanAZ752
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm on a wi-fi connection at home, my data keeps going up and I have nothing turned on, all my syncs are turned off. My phone is like three feet away from my wireless router.

I'm getting 54mps on my connection and it shows that I'm connected to wi-fi because the icon is lit up blue but I'm still getting charged for data in the back round. It goes up like 3-600kb every day.

Is there any way to stop this completely?. If I go to "data Usage" and select "restrict back round data" will that help any?, or should I just turn off "mobile data" completely?.

@ bearone21: I have already upgraded my phone and resigned my two year contract.

0 Likes
RyanAZ752
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I cannot use my wi-fi connection to send the pictures through text. Okay. I keep hearing that text doesn't go against data usage, but whenever I send a text I get charged 100kb per text, is that suppose to be happening?.

Also something else I found running in the back round is DLNA, is there any way to stop that or is that needed in order to run wi-fi at home?.

DLNA running is killing my phone battery like crazy, every time I go to force stop is comes back on.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

to confirm, you're seeing the wi-fi connection on the top bar & have or had a notification of connecting to wi-fi?

i'm unable to open a pic & send as a text message, i do it thru email, although pic texts do come in.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It will ALWAYS go through the cellular network whether you have wifi connected or not(This applies to ALL carriers).  There shouldn't be any data charges unless the photo is greater than 1,000kb is size(might be 600kb I forget the sizes for each carrier).  Are you sure it's not something else.  Someone has a program I forget who it was that'll check all your data usage and what is using it.

DLNA shouldn't eat your battery unless you are transmitting.  It should use less power than wifi.

0 Likes
garciahome

Apparently, it's an Android issue (so says Verizon as of 9/30/12) and Google has been notified of the change requirements request; their Android software update (when?) should solve the problem.  As to charges to the Data Plan in the background, a call to Customer service demanding that no additional charges for Data Plan overages be added to the bill would be in order.  This Verizon software problem has a potential impact on the customer's pocket book; they should address their lack in service.

0 Likes