Re: Razor Maxx Gorilla glass just popped in my back pocket WTF?
Sythrix
Contributor - Level 1

A screen protector and a good case/holster will go a long ways in keeping your phone safe. Also, there's two things that most people don't know about their phones.

1. If you keep your phone in your pocket, it raises the phones temperature to that of your body, having a dramatic effect on it's overall battery life. Keeping it below 85- 86 degrees will help your battery last longer. This is where a belt holster comes in. Quick access and it keeps your phone in the open where air can circulate and the phone can maintain normal temperature (this is only IF the temp outside is a normal temp, we've been having 95 - 100 degree days )

2. Even if you have Gorilla glass on your phone, it can still shatter. Here's one way to avoid that: Buy a screen protector(preferably Zagg). The screen protector actually helps prevent more than just scratches by forcing any external shock to be distributed over the entire screen through it's binding effect. This is just physics, and it does really work. All I have is a droid 2 with a Zagg screen protector. No gorilla glass. But I've dropped mine (twice now) from the top of a 10 foot ladder at work onto the solid concrete floor. Each time I was thinking "This is it. This is the time it shatters into a thousand pieces." The glass is still perfect. Bear in mind I don't have anything but a holster (no TPU case) for my droid 2. This will have less benefit when dealing with a focused impact on the glass, ie a hammer or sitting on it, or something like that, but it is immensely helpful when dealing with everyday drops. Besides the ladder, I can't tell you how many normal (6 foot or less) drops that it has survived. 

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Another thing one's can use and i have is Shirts with Pockets i have put my phones there before. But you have to remember they're there when you bend over to get something. But most of the time Now i put them in the Leather Holster..

0 Likes
CSGstuff
Enthusiast - Level 2

In the past two weeks I've had screens crack on two Droid Razor phones. For the first one I'll have to accept some blame because I dropped it. Not a long drop mind you, just from my pocket to the ground. About 2 1/2 feet total. The second one broke while it was in my pocket. I'm not sure how it happened but it may have cracked when I leaned against my car door. Very little weight was put on the phone and I'm not even sure if that is what caused the problem. I do know that there seems to be a credibility issue with the advertising done for Gorilla Glass and the actual experience of the users of the product. I believe the manufacturer should be reimbursing consumers for a product that doesn't live up to it's advertised performance. Perhaps a name change from Gorilla Glass to Teddy Bear Glass would more accurately describe the products performance.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dear CSGstuff,

Good morning. I appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your concerns. A cracked screen is never a good thing. I apologize you have experienced this not once but twice with the same devie. Unfortunately, a cracked screen is considered physical damage and would not be covered under the manufactures warranty. If you have insurance through Asurion, you may file an insurance claim. Click here to start your claim http://bit.ly/07CrqPK .

MichelleS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
lorri4612
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had my phone for only 30 days. I use a zagg screen protector. I have not dropped my phone or had it in my pocket. I just picked it up from my desk and the screen was cracked. I have read other posts where over 60 people are having the same problems. The screens are just cracking. Its so sad we have to pay the deductible for a new phone when this seems like a manufacture problem.

Re: Razor Maxx Gorilla glass just popped in my back pocket ***?
B33
Legend

This is Very True i'v had my one Maxx for now over a Year and i'm constantly reminding my self that even though the Glass is Gorilla it can still Break.!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

In my opinion, for the vast majority of cracking screens it is just a matter of people not being as gentle(or careful) with their phone as they believe. Or they are purposely trying to minimize their responsibility in the cracking. I don't believe that these screens are "just cracking".

If so many of these screens are "just cracking" there would have been some instances where a person had gone to purchase one of these phones and the salesman would have taken an untouched phone out of an unopened box and held up a phone with a cracked screen. I have seen no reports of this being the case. If the screens are "just cracking" on their own, there would have been reports of this.

I think it MUCH more likely that people are a bit harder/careless with their phones than they believe or are willing to admit. I know 15-20 people with these Razr phones(both Maxx and regular, both HD and regular) and have yet to actually see one with a screen that "just cracked" let alone seeing one which cracked because it was mishandled. I am by no means overly cautious with my Razr Maxx HD yet have had no problems.

CSGstuff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I believe the problem people are having is that the screens are cracking under what is considered to be normal use. I have owned numerous smart phones over the years and never had a problem with screen breakage until I purchased a Razor. It appears from reading the comments here that the screens on Razor phones are more prone to cracking than the industry standard. I would love to see a breakdown of screen breakage comparing Razor phones to other smart phones. If the Razor phone screens are cracking at a rate greater than other smart phones then they are falling short of the industry standard and the manufacturer should compensate purchasers for the loss incurred.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I'll go with that RC Smiley Happy   i will say however my behind Cheeks get a little on the tight side when i accidentally let my Maxx slip out of my Fingers in a Uncontrolled kind of Way.. it don't happen Much but when it does my Red hair also changes in Color b

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I can imagine it may have slipped out of your fingers a few times on Saturday when the Shockers let that game slip through their fingers.