Re: Razr Droid wont sync contacts with ActivSync Exchange server 2003
AntiguaGuy

I just replaced my first-generation Motorola Droid (slider) with a RAZR, both on Verizon.  The old phone synced my contacts, calendar, and email continuously in the background from my Microsoft Exchange Server at work.  The RAZR is syncing the email and calendar okay, but it doesn't get my contacts.

I've been reading discussions about this on various forums, and it sounds like people are saying that the only way to sync the RAZR to your Exchange Server contacts is to do an elaborate export/import procedure using a CSV file.  But then I would have to repeat the procedure manually every time I added or changed a contact on my Outlook account at work, right?  If so, that would really suck.

And I'm assuming that if I use CSV files to export/import the contacts, I lose the photos of the contacts, right?  That also sucks.

Is there another Verizon 4G smartphone that automatically syncs with my Exchange Server contacts?

Thanks.

0 Likes
AntiguaGuy

Do I then need to use Touchdown?  I didn't have to with my old Motorola Droid.

0 Likes
SteelerFan
Contributor - Level 2

You shouldn't need it but you can try it. There is a 30 day trial on it. In the settings there is an option for Exchange 2003,2007 and Active Sync. Try Active Sync first then Exchange 2003 if that doesn't work. I am guessing it is an issue with the server itself. Also make sure secure connection is enabled in corporate sync.

0 Likes
AntiguaGuy

Thanks, SteelerFan.

I followed your advice and installed TouchDown.  It grabbed all of my Exchange contacts, photos and all, and loaded them into my RAZR.  I guess that it's certainly worth $20 extra for this app, if that's the only way I can get my Exchange contacts on this phone.  But I didn't expect to have to purchase  and install additional software to get my Exchange contacts on this phone, since this worked natively on my previous Verizon Motorola Droid.

0 Likes
AntiguaGuy

0 Likes
SteelerFan
Contributor - Level 2

Glad it worked, I agree you shouldn't have to pay an extra $20 to do that. I am thinking is is a bug with the OS and Exchange 2003 with Active Sync. I am sure they will fix it. I would guess the difference was choosing Exchange 2003 over Active sync assuming you did that.

I prefer Touchdown to the native app anyway but I do use both Touchdown for my personal Exchange server and Corporate sync for work. It is a win win. Now you can enjoy the phone.  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes