Razr Maxx will not turn on. Help!
stevebo

My Droid Razr Maxx will no longer turn on.  It is fully charged as I can verify when it's plugged in and I press the volume up or down key.

I have tried to hold down the power button with volume down button for a minute (and have also done this with the volume up button) but no response.  I do this when it's charging and it's as if the power button is not depressed at all.

Obviously I cannot reset by pulling the battery.  I've pulled the SIm cards as well, but no response.

I'm guessing the power button is broken, but maybe someone else knows a solution.

Thanks,

Steve

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Razr Maxx will not turn on.  Help!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Stevebo,

Not being able to power on is a scary place to be with the phone. Based on your description I think it is a pretty safe bet it is charged. A broken power button is certainly one reason it would not respond. Has there been any damage to the phone?

The device would not respond to holding volume up and power other than it normally would with just the power button. When you press and hold the volume down and then, while continuing to hold the volume down, press the power button this would normally restart the phone.

As the phone is not restarting, I would try to bring up your Boot Mode Selection Menu menu. To do that press and hold the Volume Up/Down button then press the Power button. Hold all 3 for about 15 seconds.  This would normally bring up the Boot Mode Selection Menu. If that happens, release all buttons/keys.  Press the Volume Down button to tap Recovery then press the Volume Up button.  From the Droid triage screen: Press and hold the Volume Down button. While holding the Volume Down button, press and release the Volume Up button. Then release the Volume Down button. Use the volume keys to navigate to reboot system now then press the Power button. The device should restart like it normally does.

If you cannot bring up the boot mode selection menu that unfortunately indicates a hardware issue. I’m afraid the only remaining step would be to look at replacement options. I hope that the boot mode selection does the trick for you.

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Stevebo,

Not being able to power on is a scary place to be with the phone. Based on your description I think it is a pretty safe bet it is charged. A broken power button is certainly one reason it would not respond. Has there been any damage to the phone?

The device would not respond to holding volume up and power other than it normally would with just the power button. When you press and hold the volume down and then, while continuing to hold the volume down, press the power button this would normally restart the phone.

As the phone is not restarting, I would try to bring up your Boot Mode Selection Menu menu. To do that press and hold the Volume Up/Down button then press the Power button. Hold all 3 for about 15 seconds.  This would normally bring up the Boot Mode Selection Menu. If that happens, release all buttons/keys.  Press the Volume Down button to tap Recovery then press the Volume Up button.  From the Droid triage screen: Press and hold the Volume Down button. While holding the Volume Down button, press and release the Volume Up button. Then release the Volume Down button. Use the volume keys to navigate to reboot system now then press the Power button. The device should restart like it normally does.

If you cannot bring up the boot mode selection menu that unfortunately indicates a hardware issue. I’m afraid the only remaining step would be to look at replacement options. I hope that the boot mode selection does the trick for you.

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
stevebo

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply.  However pressing the power button doesn't seem to do anything whether I press it by itself or in conjunction with Volume Up, Volume Down or both.  When I plug the phone into the wall, the Motorola logo appears and then I see the percent charge.  When I press Volume Up or Volume Down, I also see the percent charge.  The power button does nothing no matter how long I hold it down.

I conclude that the power button is failing.  There has been no damage to the phone. I have switched over to an old iPhone 4 until my contract is over. 

My next question:  I would like to sell the broken Razr Maxx on eBay as I see they seem to have value.  If I remove the Sim Card and the Memory Card, is the phone secure?  Will anyone have access to my personal info if they can resurrect the phone?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you taking the time to offer your reply, Stevebo. I regret that the steps provided were not succesful. I can confirm that if the device is powered on your data will still be on it however they will not be able to use the device on your account.

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
stevebo

I would like to sell this unit on eBay, even though it doesn't turn on.  It seems that broken phones have some value.

If I pull out the Sim Card and Memory Card, can a buyer find out my sensitive personal information?  Can I do a factory reset from my PC?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@stevebo,

I can definitely understand you wanting to make sure the phone is free of any personal info before selling it. The best way to assure this is by performing a hard reset to wipe the device clean. Visit http://vz.to/1snZT1L for the steps.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
stevebo

Thanks, but that's the problem.  Since the unit won't turn on and the power button doesn't respond at all (as the steps tell you to do) I have no way of doing a hard reset, unless I can somehow do it from my computer through the USB port.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello stevebo.

Let's make sure you can remove your information before you sell the phone. While you are able to connect the phone to a computer to transfer files, this will not provide you with an option to erase the phone. There are thirs party applications that offer the option to remotely wipe a device. While a lot of applications need to be installed and set up first, there may be some that you can install from your computer and perform a wipe. To add an application to the Gmail account that is on the phone you can use this link: http://bit.ly/1lS0m7x

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes