SD Card Unmounted?
Wikisweetz4

I've had my Razr for a little over 1 year.  My SD card is from my original phone, a Samsung Fascinate.  I've never had issues with the SD card until this week.  I received a pop up messages stating "SD Card is unmounted."  I have not touched my SD Card since it was put in by the sales rep at Verizon when I bought the phone.  All of my pictures, music, and apps were saved to the card. I took it out, and tried it back in my Samsung to find that the card is fine.  Everything was there as it should be.  I put it back in my Razr and followed the suggestions of a hard shut down, trying to mount the card, once it was removed, the phone shut down, and then put back in, and then started back, the device located my SD Card and it worked.  For about 30 seconds and then I received the same pop up "SD Card unmounted." 

Is this something I should just take back to the store, or is this something I can troubleshoot on my own.  I do not want to reformat the card as I will lose everything on this.  Is this a device defect or is this a software update issue?

Some additionally info: no, it does not need to have a system update, and when I go through the file icon in the apps it won't register the card at all.

Suggestions?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: SD Card Unmounted?
Not applicable

Take an micro sd card reader and take out the sd card. place it into the card reader on your home computer and then make a new folder on your desktop then go to the sd card do a select all, then do a cut then go to that new folder you made and right click and select paste. This is if you have a sd card reader on your computer.

if not leave the sd card in the device take your usb cable and hook to the computer under usb mass storage. the computer should show a new drive letter(s) the sd card one after its accessed can be again select all, cut then go to that folder and select paste.

Now the sd card should be empty. You can now format the sd card from the phones settings and when done, simply go to the folder where you saved the files off the sd card and just select select all, then this time select COPY not cut, and then right click on the drive letter of the formatted sd card and select paste. You should have no problem after doing this.

It may seem like a lot of work, but it really is fast and easy either way.

Gooid Luck

0 Likes
Wikisweetz4

So I followed the steps above to a T, and everything is GONE!  I don't have a SD card reader so I hooked my phone up via USB, copied all the Internal storage to a folder on my desktop.  Formatted the SD Card from the phone, and then copied everything back to the phone.  I went to the Gallery to check it, and ALL of my Pictures/Music/Backgrounds, etc were GONE! every last one of them, and besides that the phone still is saying my SD card is unmounted. 

SO NOW WHAT? (I'm a bit frustrated and sorry if it seems to be taking it out on you, I appreciate the help but this did the exact opposite of what I wanted to do....)

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wikisweetz4 wrote:

So I followed the steps above to a T, and everything is GONE!  I don't have a SD card reader so I hooked my phone up via USB, copied all the Internal storage to a folder on my desktop.  Formatted the SD Card from the phone, and then copied everything back to the phone.  I went to the Gallery to check it, and ALL of my Pictures/Music/Backgrounds, etc were GONE! every last one of them, and besides that the phone still is saying my SD card is unmounted. 

SO NOW WHAT? (I'm a bit frustrated and sorry if it seems to be taking it out on you, I appreciate the help but this did the exact opposite of what I wanted to do....)

The DROID Razr has an internal and external (SD card) memory. Is it possible you copied the internal memory and then formatted the external memory?

A SD card reader with a micro SD card slot isn't very expensive.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Wikisweetz4

I think that is exactly what I did.  I tried running a recovery program but no luck.  I did borrow a friends micro reader, so that isn't an issue now. All of the files that were on the internal memory are still copied in the folder I created on my desktop however there isn't any files there.  All the folders are blank.  Not sure if I can do a recover on the internal memory of the phone.  I think they are all gone.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I see Ann154 realized what happened. When hooked up via usb any files you copied over will be in that new folder you created on your desktop. The microsd card holds music and files you have placed on them. If you noted I said to do a COPY and PASTE so as to not lose your files. Then after they were on your computer, to do a CUT and Paste then format the sd card. Not the internal memory. The card reader for the sd was my first bit of advice since you then would not have to deal with messing with any phone files.

In my own phones I purchased these new file system micro sd cards and they could not be accessed so I formatted for windows file system as ntsf since the newer file format just couldn't be used. But I did this using my laptop.

You can format under fat or ntsf without using the phone and then place back in the device. I have never lost any files or folders. On the sd card my pictures are named pictures, on the internal memory they are by default labeled DCIM I click that folder and it shows my pictures.

A MicroSd card reader is still the best way to view,copy or delete.

Sorry for your problem.

0 Likes