Security & Privacy identified Shell 4.4.4-5 as a medium threat risk.
Gabbagul
Enthusiast - Level 2

How should I proceed?  The app cannot be disabled, but can be force stopped.  I believe it's an Android program, however, and I suspect force stopping it would be a problem.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Security & Privacy identified Shell 4.4.4-5 as a medium threat risk.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are here to help. When did you first get this notification?

LauraL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Gabbagul
Enthusiast - Level 2

Two or three days ago.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know how alarming it can be to get a notification like this and we are here to make sure it gets resolved. Which application were you using at the time? You mentioned this happened for the first time 2 or 3 days ago, but has it happened since? DId you recently download something new onto your device?

Nichole_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Gabbagul
Enthusiast - Level 2

The possibilities for which application I was using at the time are as follows:  Netflix, History Channel, or none.  I didn't notice the notification until later, so I didn't register that information when it occurred.  As for has it happened since?  I'm also not sure, as I haven't dismissed the initial notification.  I wanted to leave it open until someone from Verizon or Android told me how to proceed.  The only options were to "Keep" or "Disable", (and "Disable" isn't even an option, as I previously mentioned, it can only be force stopped.) so I left the alert open, as I wasn't comfortable choosing "Keep" at that stage.  As far recently downloading something new to my device, I may have downloaded "Movies Anywhere" during this time, but probably nothing else.  Of course, any number of apps may have updated during this period.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for that additional detail Gabbagul. I can advise that the Shell Version 4.4.4 is related to the Android OS your Droid Maxx is running since the last version was KitKat 4.4.4. Accordingly, your phone's OS is letting you know via the Verizon Security and Privacy App that there was an app being used at the time you got that message that was deemed to present a medium threat risk to your device and the content within it. You may want to open the Verizon Security and Privacy app itself to see if it provides some additional details on the app it identified with that threat risk. You can then decide if you wish to keep it on the phone or remove/disable it. I hope this information helps. 

Ebony_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Gabbagul
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's Shell that's being identified as the risk.  The Package name is "com.android.shell" and the Detection name is "Artemis!888ea4167e5f".  That's why this is such a quandry for me, because it's an Android app that is being flagged as the risk.  My options are to "Keep" or force stop, because it won't let me "Disable" this app.  For good reason, I believe.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can't disable that application because it is a system application that is needed for the OS to run.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Gabbagul
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's what I suspected.  Which is why I'm very hesitant to force stop it, also.  However, I'm not thrilled that it's been flagged as a medium threat risk, either.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Security threats on mobile devices should definitely be of concern. From what you are describing, it sounds like the threat will either keep reoccurring or if you click disable, it may stop an important process from working. 

I recommend backing up your device fully and completing a reset. As long as you back up your content you will not jeopardize losing any of your content. Factory resetting your device will remove any corrupt software that is causing the alert and get your device working like a well-oiled machine.

GinaU_VZW

0 Likes