Seriously considering T-Mobile's "Never Settle ... for Verizon"
abrowncow
Enthusiast - Level 1

I switched from my old carrier to Verizon and signed a contract almost solely for the Droid Turbo. OK, actually just for the Droid Turbo. Foolishly over the Nexus 6. I Ignored all of the gripes and warnings about Big Red on reddit and Android blogs. I wanted the sleek ballistic nylon, the 21MP camera, the cool Moto features. And most of all, Moto's reputation for quick updates.

Boy was I wrong. Six months after buying the phone, still stuck on 4.4.4 like some kind of pleb. Meanwhile, our cousins overseas with the new Moto Maxx – the exact same phone we have here in the States – have had 5.0.X for months. And the Turbo isn't even included in Moto's changelog for phones receiving the 5.1 update.

So we know this is Verizon. Why else does every other carrier have no problem with prompt updates when the manufacturer delivers them? Does Big Red seriously think that their customers DEMAND that extra level of quality control or whatever that literally every other carrier doesn't have? I'm seriously considering jumping ship. I honestly don't care that T-Mobile doesn't provide as comprehensive a network. At least I can be relatively confident that the S6 Edge will get 5.1 before the Turbo.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Seriously considering T-Mobile's "Never Settle ... for Verizon"
Snn5
Legend
D1fz
Contributor - Level 1

You're going to get a few responses to that. I will go ahead and list you a summary:

1 - "Verizon doesn't write any code"

2 - "It's Motorola's delay. (Insert name and title) said so"

3 - "The FCC approval process takes a while and changes require approval"

4 - "Lollipop is buggy, you should be happy to not be updated"

abrowncow
Enthusiast - Level 1

Nothing I haven't heard before. But seriously. The Moto X 2013 has it. The Maxx overseas has it. Figuratively every flagship of its generation has it. Yet the only thing those other phones don't have is Verizon.

D1fz
Contributor - Level 1

I agree with you. Other phones have been updated with 5.1. Any required FCC approvals have been done for them.

The same hardware over seas has an update.

Other Verizon phones here have had their FCC approvals.

Other Motorola phone have had their update.

All things being the same, the Motorola Droid Turbo a phone on Verizon has not been updated. The only common theme is Verizon.

th64
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow, you sure got that right.  I have had it with verizon.  They are completely useless and the droid turbo is a total piece of crap.