Since JB update, I can connect to my home wifi network but I can't connect to outside networks anymore. Anyone else have similar issue?
vstjames
Contributor - Level 1

As the headline says, I can't connect to my network but not to outside open networks since the JB update. Actually, this is only one of several issues I have since JB update but I'm only concerned here with the wifi connect issue. My phone sees the network but I just can't connect to it like I did before the update. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

Labels (2)
Re: Since JB update, I can connect to my home wifi network but I can't connect to outside networks anymore. Anyone else have similar issue?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Happy day to you vstjames,

Software updates are designed to enhance the features and functionality of the device. Jelly Bean is one of the most highly anticipated software update in recent wireless events. It saddens me to see that you are having difficulties with the update. I don't want you to worry about this as I am here to make it all better. I have a few questions that I would like to ask you so I can get a better understanding of the issue. May I ask are you able to browse the web and use other data services without being on wifi? Also, do you know what network security access is being used? For example, is the wifi network set to WPA, WPA2, or WEP? If you are getting an error message then please share the message as well as the details of the experience so I can research this for you. I'm looking forward to your next reply.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Since JB update, I can connect to my home wifi network but I can't connect to outside networks anymore. Anyone else have similar issue?
vstjames
Contributor - Level 1

Hello Arnett,

I agree, software updates are designed to enhance features and functionality. But sadly all too often, major updates like that of Jelly Bean cause major problems like what you’re currently seeing in the forums. Problems like Wi-Fi connection issues, for example. Some can connect at home but not beyond. Others can connect outside but not at home. And still, some cannot connect at all. So, in general, I agree with you.

In answer to your questions: Yes, I can browse the internet, send and receive emails via 3G/4G (however, they are about one weaker on average than before the update); My home Wi-Fi security is WPA2 but I have no problem connecting at home, other than the signal is one bar lower on average than before update. Connecting elsewhere is my biggest issue. Those are all “open” connections and even though the Wi-Fi scans shows those open connections as strong, my phone simply cannot make the connection now. Before the Jelly Bean update, (I had ICS, then) I had no problem connecting to an outside Wi-Fi source. Now, since the JB update, I do. There is no error message only the typical “unable to connect” as if the signal was too weak or too far away to use. This is a JB issue. There are hundreds, pehaps thousands, of posts about JB update issues (including Wi-Fi connectivity) found at Motorola’s forums for Razr Maxx phone posted by other people. That doesn’t even include the JB update for other phone models. Thank you for looking into this.

Victor