Switching to 3G
KyleG8898

My Droid Turbo keeps switching to 3G.  My coworker who sits next to me has full bars of 4G, yet my phone seems to switch to 3G and then stay there.  If I restart, it will go to 4G for an hour or two but then switch again.  I did a factory reset, tried global, LTE/CDMA and LTE/GSM/UMTS cellular networks.  I don't want to go to the Verizon store and have service hand me another phone, I would prefer to fix mine.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Switching to 3G
Snn5
Legend

Perhaps try a new free SIM replacement from a corporate store, or order one from Verizon in Live Chat or over the phone.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KyleG8898, We want your device to work at full capacity at all times as we want your experience with your device and service to be the best. Let's get this figured out. When did this begin? What steps did you take to do a factory data reset? How many third party applications do you have on the device?
NatashaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
KyleG8898

I noticed it about 3 weeks ago.  I slowly started uninstalling apps (I only download from Google Play) but I could not get it to stop.

For the factory reset, I followed the steps provided on the Verizon Wireless website found at Perform a Factory Data Reset (Device Powered Off) - DROID TURBO by Motorola | Verizon Wireless

The only apps I have re downloaded from the Google Play store are:

1.  Android Wear (for my smartwatch).

2.  Bills Reminder

3.  CVS Pharmacy

4.  Drone Mobile

5.  Yahoo Fantasy Sports

6.  Keeper

7.  Map My Walk

8.  Our Groceries

9.  Outlook

10.  Simple Volume

11.  Sleep

12.  TD Bank

13.  The Score

14.  Yahoo news

All other apps were pre-loaded.

Thanks,

Kyle

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kyle, thanks so much for providing this information as it truly helps us. Let's try a troubleshooting step. Please put the phone in safe mode to see what signal the device shows. Safe mode will temporarily disable all 3rd party apps. Click here for steps. http://vz.to/1QZw1RW
NatashaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
KyleG8898

That seems to work.  Is there any way to diagnose which app?  Or do I need to uninstall / reinstall until I find it?

Thanks,

Kyle

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Perhaps try a new free SIM replacement from a corporate store, or order one from Verizon in Live Chat or over the phone.

0 Likes
KyleG8898

Forgive my ignorance but how would a new sim card help if an app is forcing the 4G/3G switching? 

Thanks,

Kyle

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You are forgiven.  No app is forcing a 3G/4G switch.  That is controlled by the hardware, strength of reception, and the SIM card which sends/receives subscriber information to towers on and off the Verizon Network.  If the SIM is having a read/write issue, then that can explain changes.  Besides, it's a free step to take to rectify the issue.  If that doesn't help, you might have a hardware issue, though I believe that not the case.

0 Likes