Turbo Charger Buzzzz?
MHeikes
Enthusiast - Level 1

While charging my phone with the turbo charger I noticed that it actually makes a noise.  The unit plugged into the wall buzzes.  Is this normal?  It sounds like power lines do when you're standing under them.

Labels (2)
Re: Turbo Charger Buzzzz?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mheikes,

That's very odd. I don't see any other reports of the Droid Turbo producing a noise when charging.  Does this occur with all chargers or outlets? How long has this been happening for? Please share some additional details so we can further assist. Thank you.

TrevorC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

This can be normal for some chargers to have a 60 Hz AC hum, however it more often then not is a poorly built charger. I would return the charger and purchase a new unit.

0 Likes
MHeikes
Enthusiast - Level 1

The buzzing continues while on a different outlet while in a different house altogether.  It seems to only be occurring while the phone charges I've noticed this time, once it hit's 100% the buzzing is no longer there.  I've never noticed a buzzing sound with any of my other phone chargers.  I thought that because the turbo charger is more powerful the buzzing noise might be normal.  It should be noted that although the sound is very similar to that of power lines it is not nearly as loud.  You have to put you ear about a foot from the charger to really notice it.  I only noticed for the first time couple days ago because I was up very early in the morning and there was almost zero ambient noise in the room.  I live in the city so even something like cars driving by could be enough to mask the noise.

As I noted in my first post it is the actual wall unit of the charger that buzzes, not the phone itself.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

A transformer is made up of two or more coils around a core of ferrous material. That ferrous material is not a solid lump of metal, but a series of plates laminated together with adhesive. This is done because:

Early transformer developers soon realized that cores constructed from solid iron resulted in prohibitive eddy current losses, and their designs mitigated this effect with cores consisting of bundles of insulated iron wires. Later designs constructed the core by stacking layers of thin steel laminations, a principle that has remained in use.

So you have lots of steel plates stuck together, but not only that: Each lamination is insulated from its neighbors by a thin non-conducting layer of insulation.

Lots of metal plates, each with an induced magnetic field. That magnetic field acts between the adjacent plates stretching and squeezing the adhesive and insulation between them. Over time that adhesive starts to break apart and the laminated layers separate from each other slightly. This is the humming noise you can hear. It's always present, but once the adhesive starts to break it gets louder. These micro-fractures in the adhesive may not be visible to the naked eye, but in extreme situations they may be so bad the layers of lamination become loose and the transformer literally rattles as you shake it.

Also, the more current you draw through a transformer the larger the induced magnetic fields, and thus the louder the transformer hums (and the shorter its life span).

( This can be normal for some chargers to have a 60 Hz AC hum, however it more often then not is a poorly built charger. I would return the charger and purchase a new unit.)         Merry Christmas    Smiley Happy

0 Likes
smarshall561
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have also been experiencing this noise. There are tons on the XDA forums as well as reddit. A simple google search will suffice. There is always a slight whine but when battery is full it has a loud intermittent squeel. It has been giving me headaches but my turbo will not charge on other chargers.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
smarshall561

This does not sound normal! How long have you experienced this noise? Does the phone get hot? Does this happen every time you plug it in to the charger? Does the phone have any physical/water damage?
JorgeO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
smarshall561
Enthusiast - Level 1

My phone has no damage and neither does the charger. Just google it my friend. Many have also had this issue.

Jamesthepikapp

My charger is doing the same thing. When I plug the charger in the wall no hum. When I plug the phone in buzzing sound. I can hear/sense it from 4ft away. Only happens when plug into the wall. Happens with any cord OEM or none.

0 Likes
LittleBears

I too have same noise, almost the same as when computer was on dial up kind of noise!

0 Likes