Unfortunately Motorola Input has stopped -- fixed!
lucidgreen

The other day I rebooted my Droid Razr running ICS because it was acting a bit slow. When it came back on, I got this incessant error telling me that, "Unfortunately Motorola Input has stopped." So I did some digging. Tried disabling it, which left me with the ultra-crappy Swype keyboard, but I lived with it while I tried to find a solution.

Fortunately, I got it working again. I just thought I'd share how.

Two things I did:

Somehow I was able to backup my personal dictionary to my SD card, and delete my dictionary. I haven't tried restoring my dictionary yet, in case it horks things up again.

I also added the Spanish dictionary. Whether or not that worked is anyone's guess.

So my thought is that the dictionary may have become corrupted or was unable to load. Adding a second dictionary may have been all it needed to load the default language dictionary.

My other thought is that my personal dictionary was full or corrupt and clearing it allowed it to function correctly again.

Either way, I hope this helps someone!

First thing you'll probably want to do is choose a different default keyboard while you do this. When Motorola Input crashes, it won't allow you to modify its settings. To do this:

Settings > Language & input

Under KEYBOARD & INPUT METHODS, tap Default.

Choose a different keyboard, the only other option will probably be Swype unless you've manage to purposely or unknowingly add a second keyboard.

Clearing your personal dictionary:

Tap the sprocket next to Motorola Input

NOTE:  App must be enabled. If it is disabled, you won't see it in these settings. To enable it, go to Settings > Apps > All and scroll to the bottom to find your disabled apps.

Under OTHER OPTIONS, tap Transfer learned words if you want to try saving your dictionary and tap Export learned words.

Go back and tap Clear learned words and follow the onscreen instructions.

Choosing additional dictionaries:

Tap the sprocket next to Motorola Input

NOTE:  App must be enabled. If it is disabled, you won't see it in these settings. To enable it, go to Settings > Apps > All and scroll to the bottom to find your disabled apps.

Under TEXT CORRECTION, tap Add-on dictionaries.

Choose a dictionary you want to try and follow whatever input requests it gives you to install that dictionary. I think it will just install, but it might ask you if you're really sure you're sure.

And that's it! Feel free to try one or the other first to see if it makes a difference and the comment on your experiences, please. Others will undoubtedly appreciate your added insight.

Labels (2)
0 Likes