WIFI Callling, Texting and Voice to Text Does not Work
Jeepmonkeymark

Phone stops sending / receiving WIFI calls, texts and Voice to Text Vmail periodically stops working.

This has been happening for about 3 years over multiple Motorola phone models. I call Verizon periodically, spend about an hour re-capping the issues and time frame because they refuse to read the case notes. Each time, they confirm the phone can be seen by the network, but just won't function. I learn it has failed by having my wife accuse me of ignoring her calls and texts 😉 Then there are multiple exercises, settings checks, etc. Typically the voice to text gets a "oh, the last person "you know what-ed" up, you you need to do this..." that works for a few days, then fails again.

Each time, they end up escalating to higher level support, give promises that they will stay engaged, then I get ghosted by both first and higher level support staff. There is no way to reach anyone specifically, so once they quit, I have to start over.

Have offered to help resolve by allowing my phone to be instrumented (computer term for placing software that monitors behind the scenes phone activity to see why an error is occurring), but that has been refused.

Only solution so far is restarting the phone, or doing some type of reset that is faster but blows away all preferences for all apps.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: WIFI Callling, Texting and Voice to Text Does not Work
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want your service to be up and running properly!-Pamela

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sorry to hear that the issue is still occurring across multiple devices. Does the issue only happen when connected to a particular Wi-Fi connection such as your home or on all Wi-Fi connections? -Pamela

0 Likes
Jeepmonkeymark

Thank you for responding. I only see it at home, but I do not know that it does not happen elsewhere. The phone has a different, also frustrating defect where when I am away from my home network, WIFI is on, a network is available but I am not connected, then the phone refuses to use cellular data. As a result, I have to manually turn off WiFi every time I leave my house, then turn  it on if I happen to be near a known/safe network, then turn it back off when I leave etc... Like the original issue I mentioned, I have called about this but had given up after several episodes of trying, failing, ghosting which appears to be the Verizon norm when an issue does not have an easy resolution. Sorry to keep harping on that, but I assure you it is real.

0 Likes
Jeepmonkeymark

Sorry - I wanted to add something to my last post and hit the "Correct Answer" button thinking it would allow me to edit the post. Hopefully, a moderator can correct this error on my part.

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@Jeepmonkeymark wrote:

Sorry - I wanted to add something to my last post and hit the "Correct Answer" button thinking it would allow me to edit the post. Hopefully, a moderator can correct this error on my part.

I think you can turn off/reverse the 'Correct Answer' yourself. Click on the 'options' of the Post.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Throughout the history of the issue, I imagine this setting has been looked at.
Is "Avoid bad Wi-Fi connections" on or off" ? 

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-206834/

Are there firmware updates available for the home wi-fi router ?

-David

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@Jeepmonkeymark wrote:

Here's a post I marked as 'Correct Answer' on a thread I created.  The options have a 'Not the Solution' choice for reversing an incorrect 'Solution' by the Original Poster:

Not The Solution option.jpg

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
Jeepmonkeymark

The tip about turning off the "this is the solution" switch worked! Thanks!

I will see how Comcast manages FW updates on their hardware. My guess is that they push those behind the scenes automatically, but will confirm...

"Avoid Bad Networks" was off. I think that has been tried but happy to try it again. Switch set - will see what happens. Any idea how a "Bad Network" is defined? Took a quick look and not seeing anything specific...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Please try the avoid bad network settings and then let us know how it works for you. Bad networks are typically determined by either a Wi-Fi connection with no internet access, or a low signal from a Wi-Fi source that is unstable. 

Usually, firmware of most home internet devices are not automatically updated, since the network being turned off on the device is usually needed. Most home providers would walk consumers through the process of updating their device.

-Steven

0 Likes