Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Water damage, new phone or new battery?
corvius
Member

So I put my phone through a full washing cycle. I dried it for about a day with dessicant and took the battery out as soon as I got the right torx bit (so I was an hour or so delayed in taking the battery out.) Put the battery back in this morning, plugged it in. The motorola wireless wings pop up for...maybe 10 seconds, sometimes the screen flickers briefly and the wings appear again. Then the battery screen comes up and goes from 0% to 5% very quickly, and hangs at 5%. Occasionally, if I leave it for a few minutes, it reads 100%. The phone wont turn on. Phone is old and out of warranty. Should I spend the $30 on a used battery online or just put the $30 towards a new phone? Any other thoughts? Much appreciated - I've tried searching for this issue but couldn't find any direct answers. Thanks!!!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Water damage, new phone or new battery?
crelin
Sr. Member

I would definately suggest an entirely new phone at this point.

0 Likes
Re: Water damage, new phone or new battery?
corvius
Member

AHHHHAHAHAHAH I DID IT. Ok so the phone is working 100% now. For those of you who stumble upon this apparently there is hope!

I took out the battery and dried the phone using rice/dessicant in a bag. After about 8 hours I plugged the battery in, then put it to the stock charger. There was a steady white light on the indicator, nothing else. Took out the battery, dried the phone over night. So it was about 24 hours of drying. Plugged battery back in. Plugged into stock charger. Now I'm getting the motorola wings, then a 5% battery charge. Occasionally it would hop to 100% if I left it on. Wouldn't boot.

I took the battery out. I grabbed a wall charger for my electric shaver. I put the negative wire from the battery terminal to the negative connector on the shaver's AC adapter (this should work with any AC adapter?) and the positive from the battery to the positive on the AC adapter. There was a spark or two, and I held it there for like....30 seconds. I put the battery back in my phone and let it charge for 15 minutes. Tried turning it on. Nothing, still the 5%. HOWEVER when I unplugged the charger, the 5% screen stayed there, so I now knew the battery was actually keeping a charge. I let it charge for an hour. Booted right up. Hell yeah.

0 Likes