What is the touchless command to open a mobile hotspot?
ski_mask

According to Verizon's description:

When powered on, the Verizon–exclusive Droid Maxx is always ready for touchless control–even when it’s asleep. Need to open a mobile hotspot or get GPS directions? Accomplish it all with simple voice commands and without touching your phone (great for when your Droid Maxx is just out of reach).

So... If I say "open mobile hotspot" it opens the menu but does not launch the hotspot itself. Meaning I have to get up and walk over to start it. What is the command that allows me to actually open a hotspot from across the room?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: What is the touchless command to open a mobile hotspot?
ski_mask

Can anybody answer this? I am baffled that in every advertisement for the Droid Maxx, and probably the Ultra and Moto X too, they boast that you can open a WiFi hotspot from across the room... yet the phrase to do it is not listed in the user manual or anywhere I can find on the website.

This is one of the main things I would be using touch less commands to do. I hope this is not something that was haphazardly overstated regarding opening the Mobile Hotspot app itself, because I still have to walk over and hit the box to turn it on from the menu. Not any more convenient than walking over and starting the app myself.

Thanks for any help!

0 Likes
droid_does_life
Enthusiast - Level 3

I love the new MAXX, but the touchless commands are quite the joke unless you are like within 1-3 feet of the device. When I trained "OK Google Now", I wasn't exactly shouting across the room at my phone; I was close to it. So therefore, my phone doesn't recognize my voice when I raise it, like when I lose my device and say, "OK Google Now, call my Droid". By the time I get close enough to activate this command, I'm already right on top of my lost phone anyways.

As far as the mobile hotspot touchlses command, it should activate when you tell it to (from a close distance). I went back into my training voice command option in settings and got further away from my Droid in a quiet room so that my voice would be recognized from a distance, and then trained it up-close as well. This seemed to help a lot. Try it out, and I hope it works for you, too!

0 Likes
ski_mask

I definitely appreciate the tip, that helped the voice recognition from far away and in noisy environments. However, when I say "open mobile hotspot" it still only opens the menu and you have to walk over to the phone and touch it to check the box that activates the hotspot.

I spoke with a Motorola rep yesterday and they confirmed that the touchless controls will open the app, but will not start the hotspot within the app once it is open. So essentially Verizon exaggerated when they told us we could "open a mobile hotspot from across the room" as it does require you to touch the phone to completely open it.

I love the phone AND Verizon, but it is irritating to get a new phone and discover that it is incapable of one of the main things it is advertised to be able to do.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

0 Likes