Why am I getting an amazon update from an unknown source?
papaharv
Enthusiast - Level 2

On my droid turbo 2 I keep getting an amazon update avail message. But when I go to install it I get a install blocked message. The message says its from an unknown source. I do not understand why its an unknown source as the app is preinstalled on the phone. I do have the switch set to block apps from an unknown source. What's the story, on this. Is the app safe or what? If its not safe, how can I stop the annoying message.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: amazon update avail from an unknown source
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Apps from the Amazon app store will need the unknown sources allowed to install since it is a third party apk and not one that comes from the Play Store.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Apps from the Amazon app store will need the unknown sources allowed to install since it is a third party apk and not one that comes from the Play Store.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

davidh_vzw
Verizon Employee

While our help guides are limited when it comes to 3rd party apps, we help when we can, papaharv . One trick I’ve learned when working with Amazon apps is that once their Amazon Kindle app is updated, then the rest of their apps will update. Does it show any updates when looking up the Kindle app on your phone? What app is failing to update? 

davidh_vzw

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
papaharv
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your response to my question, sorry about taking so long to get back to you.

My original question was, why did my phone say the updates were from an unknown source when Amazon come pre installed on the phone. The app in question was Amazon App store. I have since uninstalled it and have no longer received the update messages for this particular app.

I have questions and about a lot of the apps on this phone. The list of preloaded apps on the phone totals 31, I have a total of 52 apps on the phone. Third party I presume. However, when playing with trying to uninstall them  (third party) I get messages saying if I uninstall them it will effect or may affect other apps.

Example:

Android Pay is a app I would like to uninstall, however when I go through several steps, at the end the choice is "do I want to install the original".  [Removed], I just want the app gone.

Thanks

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If it asks if you want to install the original version of application then it was a pre installed application and can only be disabled and not fully removed.

0 Likes