Why can't I change the ringtone of my contacts?
drock1015

I am having trouble getting the ringtone for my contacts to change. I have a standard ringtone that I use for everyone that I don't talk to frequently. The contacts in my phone that I talk to frequently I have assigned their own ringtone to differentiate them from other callers. I have been able to assign ringtones to everyone except for 1 of the contacts that I would like to. When I open my contacts I scroll to their listing and open it. Then I hit the menu hard button in the bottom left corner. I will select set ringtone and then scroll to the ringtone I want to use, select it, and hit ok. When that person calls it does not play the ringtone I selected. For some reason it is only playing my text alert sound. Any idea how to fix this? I am running Android 4.1.2.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Why can't I change the ringtone of my contacts?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello drock1015. I understand the importance to distinguish between the different calls coming in. Lets try to delete the contact and add back. Then change the tone. Here is how:

Tap Apps > People [then]

• To edit a contact, tap it [the contact] , tap Menu > Edit, then tap a field to edit or tap [the picture] to choose the contact’s picture.

• To set a special ringtone for the contact, tap it [the contact], then tap Menu > Set ringtone.

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
drock1015

That is the exact process I have followed. The contact's ringtone is still not changing to what I select. It is also not even playing a ringtone anymore. It is playing my text message notification after I specifically choose a ringtone. I have even attempted to play the default Motorola ringtone for this contact and it will not change from the notification sound.

0 Likes
MojaveJoe03

I figured this out finally.  But I didn't start looking for a fix in 2013 May, I started in April 2015.  So 2 years late with this post but here's how I fixed this problem. 

Delete the contact from your contacts list.  Create a new contact listing for him/her, then assign the new ringtone to the new contact listing.  Worked for me the first time I tried it.  This is such a common fix for un-fixable problems with computers I figured 'What the heck, I'll try it.'.

<<Edited by Moderator to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service >>

0 Likes