Why can't I connect via wi-fi?
macw
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am trying to use Wi-Fi connection and not my mobile data but when I connect and try to enter a site (such as Google search or Facebook), I cannot connect.  Another thing is that when I'm usually connected properly, Wi-Fi is shown in blue but now it isn't.  What is going on?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wi-Fi Connection
tylerw1285
Contributor - Level 1

There are several things that could cause this issue depending on the version of android/phone. I'll start with the easiest.

1. Unplug your router and forget your wireless network on your device, plug router in, re-connect.

2. log into router and remove network security, forget network on phone and then connect again. if so change to wep. or wpa

3. log into router and do a firmware upgrade to make sure router is up to date.

4. test-ipv6 dot com will let you know if IPV6 is active with your ISP. If so

select your wifi network, advanced options, modify, change DHCP to Static.. then connect. Most likely the issue since This is only big deal with versions below 4.3.

IT connects for a moment the way it is because it is waiting to get an ipv6 address. Once it doesn't get it... It acts like a wifi network would if the internet itself wasn't working. Even without internet you can connect to your router but aren't going anywhere. Verizon is IPV6 active and some things like Gmail, playstore will not operate unless this is done it will just say something like network error.

Hope you don't have to get all the way to number 4.

View solution in original post

tylerw1285
Contributor - Level 1

Can you be a little more specific? What phone, android version, who is your internet provider.

0 Likes
tylerw1285
Contributor - Level 1

There are several things that could cause this issue depending on the version of android/phone. I'll start with the easiest.

1. Unplug your router and forget your wireless network on your device, plug router in, re-connect.

2. log into router and remove network security, forget network on phone and then connect again. if so change to wep. or wpa

3. log into router and do a firmware upgrade to make sure router is up to date.

4. test-ipv6 dot com will let you know if IPV6 is active with your ISP. If so

select your wifi network, advanced options, modify, change DHCP to Static.. then connect. Most likely the issue since This is only big deal with versions below 4.3.

IT connects for a moment the way it is because it is waiting to get an ipv6 address. Once it doesn't get it... It acts like a wifi network would if the internet itself wasn't working. Even without internet you can connect to your router but aren't going anywhere. Verizon is IPV6 active and some things like Gmail, playstore will not operate unless this is done it will just say something like network error.

Hope you don't have to get all the way to number 4.

macw
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry, I have a Motorola droid razor, 4.1.2 thru Verizon

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

0 Likes
macw
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks u VERY much...Wi-Fi is up and running (I can now receive updates, messages, etc)!

0 Likes