Re: Why cant i talk and surf at the same time?
B33
Legend

Yup I seen it but was doing to many things around that time.. heck I even posted it.. too many things to many things stirring in my head, time for a nap ha ha.. Have a Happy Halloween.

0 Likes
csintl
Enthusiast - Level 2

The assumption with VOLTE and simultaneous data is that if you have LTE signal for data you have enough for voice.  this is a flawed assumption.  if you are using an LTE connection for data, and the connection is choppy or weak, you will perceive it as slowness as the data packets have to be re-transmitted.  with VOLTE, the voice data must be near real time with not too many transmission errors.

I was using VOLTE on my MAXX before I got the Turbo, and found it to be to unrealiable to use on a regular basis.  I had 4G service but most places, LTE is fairly weak compared to the 1X signal, and therefore the voice connection is more reliable in that mode.

If Verizon plans to phase out 1X and depend on VOLTE, they are a long way from that.  the LTE build-out will need significantly more coverage where the signals are similar in strength to today's 1X signals.  I dont know what the plans are but that's what has to happen for VOLTE to be a practical service.  right now its more of an experiment.

The point is, for the TURBO and the New Moto X, VOLTE has to be much better for practical simultaneous voice and data.

Can anyone from VZW shed some light on this?  is it not possible or will it never be possible to use 1X voice and LTE at the same time on these devices? and if not and we have to depend on VOLTE for that to work, how will that take place considering variable weaker signal areas.?

thank you in advance for any answers.

ChristiLockridge
Enthusiast - Level 2

Look whatever they have in the Ultra and the Maxx and the S5 should be in this phone. I don't care about AN update that may or may not come within the next two months...I only have 14 days to return the TURBO, so I want answers now from someone official. I've call VZW twice and no one has a damn clue as to what I'm even talking about much less if or when it'll be fixed.

rcschnoor
Legend

csintl wrote:

is it not possible or will it never be possible to use 1X voice and LTE at the same time on these devices? and if not and we have to depend on VOLTE for that to work, how will that take place considering variable weaker signal areas.?

thank you in advance for any answers.

Since the extra antennae which other 4G LTE phones have in order to do this function was left out of the Droid Turbo, it is doubtful you will ever have the capability of 1X voice and LTE at the same time.

B33
Legend

You welcome)  I kind of  look at this way..  with anything new as voLTE as we go along updates will help make these phone more compatible and easier to use and as new phones evolve they will work even better than the one's were using now..

rcschnoor
Legend

ChristiLockridge wrote:

Look whatever they have in the Ultra and the Maxx and the S5 should be in this phone. I don't care about AN update that may or may not come within the next two months...I only have 14 days to return the TURBO, so I want answers now from someone official. I've call VZW twice and no one has a **** clue as to what I'm even talking about much less if or when it'll be fixed.

If you want "official" answers now, then you may as well return the phone.

With that being said, the Turbo WILL get VoLTE, but since it is lacking an antennae you will not get normal voice/data simultaneously except via wifi. Without wifi, the only simultaneous voice/data you will EVER get is VoLTE on the Droid Turbo.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

This service also only works when calls are placed between two VZW customers if each subscriber has a VoLTE-capable phone setup. As you pointed  they must be in Verizon's LTE network footprint with a strong signal, as calls will drop and not hand off to other service like 3G.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

As I have previously said in other threads, it depends on how it is deployed.

Advanced Calling 1.0 which utilizes VoLTE requires both phones to have VoLTE and be using this protocol during the call. VoLTE in and of itself DOES not have this same requirement.

The Verizon iPhone 6 has VoLTE. It also has Advanced Calling 1.0. It does not have the capability to simultaneously do voice/data UNLESS the voice is over VoLTE OR data is over wifi. To test this, I went to a Verizon store, disabled wifi on an iPhone 6, activated VoLTE and attempted to make a call. There was an LTE signal available at the time. While on a call to a NON-VoLTE phone, I was SUCCESSFULLY able to navigate to multiple websites and use apps which utilize data. I tried the SAME call after disabling VoLTE and got messages stating the data network was unavailable to use.

VoLTE in and of itself does not require both phones to be using VoLTE at the time of a call. Advanced Calling 1.0 DOES, but that also gives you additional capabilities such as video which are not available simply on VoLTE but not Advanced Calling 1.0.

It is all in how VoLTE is deployed.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Some good information rcschnoor, thanks..

0 Likes
csintl
Enthusiast - Level 2

I guess my point from the my previous post is that I am not saying that you cant do both voice and data if VOLTE is active.  Im saying that its going to be quite some time before LTE is deployed widely enough and has sufficient coverage in terms of signal strength within each LTE cell to be as reliable as 1X.  The radio coverage on 1X is much more extensive, and its why it works when LTE data drops out.

So getting simultaneous data and Voice, and VOLTE on its own will depend on the extent to which LTE coverage is improved to make VOLTE a suitable stand alone voice technology.  Right now its not there.