Re: Why does my Droid Turbo power off, with plenty of battery available, for no reason?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm saddened to hear that you are considering leaving our family over a phone issue that can be fixed. We never want you having phone issues. When did this issue begin? Has there been a recent change such as a software update or new application download? 

CarmenT_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Why does my Droid Turbo power off, with plenty of battery available, for no reason?
churchwood45
Enthusiast - Level 2

Agree. This definitely is a sudden change so do not start with application garbage or anything other than something done to our service to force a new phone on us. My husband and I have the same phone purchased at the same time and we are both experiencing this issue.  Been with Verizon a very long time but may need to consider options based on the malicious motives I suspect here.  We are mostly at home but travel several weeks a year and this is a huge problem. VERIZON, you need to solve this problem. NOW.

0 Likes
churchwood45
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for suggestion. We will go to Comcast today. Already have an account so will see what they can offer.

0 Likes
churchwood45
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your answer is pitiful. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

churchwood45,

Pitiful is never what we strive for with our answers, and I'm sorry that you feel this way. I want to take a step back and lay a foundation for service providers versus phone manufacturers. We provide the connection, allowing the device you purchase to run on the network. Outside of the data/voice connection, we don't have control over the phone's functionality and we can't tap into the phone to power it off. As a comparison, we'll use an internet service provider and a computer to offer a different perspective. If your computer reboots randomly throughout the day, Your internet service provider does not control this. Rather, it would be something internal on the computer that is causing this issue. The manufacturer would be the best point of contact in this instance.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Droid Turbo is 4-5 years old (depending on which version you have). The older the phone, the more likely that issues can come up. Manufacturers will typically stop producing updates for these phones once they get past a certain point.

The reason I'm going into detail is because I don't want to see you leave Verizon, go to another carrier, and then experience similar phone issues that are manufacturer related and not service-related. Lenovo (Motorola) has threads within their forums about this device issue and potential fixes. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/DROID-TURBO-by-Motorola/Unexpected-Shutdown-on-Droid-Turbo/m-p/3058717#...

Aside from this, what happens when you use your device in Safe Mode, shown here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-118294/. Keep us posted on your success.

RyanC_VZW

0 Likes
imcensored1

I am disappointed that no one has posted the real reason for this.

Here it goes.  The batteries in these phones were designed to only last for 2-3 years.  Once they begin to fail, the phone doesn't know how to process when the battery intermittently "drops out" and thus perceives it as 0% and powers the phone down (either by shutting down, or quick power off).   This can be confirmed by checking the logs and seeing why the phone powered down.  It will tell you that it commanded a power down due to battery charge. 

Here is the kicker.  Motorola stopped making batteries for these phones years ago, as well as the aftermarket battery producers.  So even if you replace your battery, you are installing one that had sat on a shelf for a few years.  My replacement batteries thus far have been getting 3-6 months of life before having faults again.

it is not in the interest of Verizon, nor Motorola to support this issue.  They do not profit of you extending the life of your phone, even though these phones are fully capable of supporting the latest and greatest Android OS and still run at the speed they did when they first came out.

If any aftermarket company wants to make some money, please please please produce a batch of new batteries for these phones.

Outside of the battery issue, I experience no other faults with my phone.  I am currently running Android 10, Build date 06/10/2020 with Android security patch dated 06/05/2020.  Because of this, I have no desire to replace my phone, and I won't be happy if i ultimately have to due to no other reason besides poor battery support.

0 Likes