Why is a Verizon contract 2 years when a phone won't even last that long?
ReconDoc911
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have owned 3 different Motorola Droid phones. With Each phone I have had multiple replacements during the 2 year contract due to malfunction. I get a replacement and it has the same problem as the phone it's replacing, this is ridiculous. My first was the Motorola Droid when they first came out. I replaced it 9 times in the first year....Verizon kept giving me certified used phones that had the same problem. Simply means, they didn't know what the problem was and couldn't fix it...Here you go, have another broken phone. My current phone is the Droid Maxx HD. Phone was right at the warranty expiration and started freezing up and shutting down on it's own. Went to a dealer and arranged for a replacement. I get the replacement, charge it, activate it and that same day took it to the dealer because it was doing the same thing. They replaced it. The phone I have now is doing the same thing. My contract expires in November, I'm going to a simple phone or to Sprint, T-Mobile or AT&T....$150 a month for service and I can't even get a phone that works. On top of that, I work in a hospital, I barely get a signal here and most of the time only get 2 or 3 bars...Think it's time to move on

Labels (2)
Re: Why is a Verizon contract 2 years when a phone won't even last that long?
camstep
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree.  I did have better luck with my maxx razer.  About 7 months ago the screen died after I had had it less than a yr.  The Verizon store I went to was great about sending me a replacement at no cost.  Of course no new phones since Droid had moved on to newer models so I got the same model from the refurbished warehouse--the island of misfit toys.  It had more bloatware and useless apps than the original most of which I was able to remove or disable updates. I sacrificed my unlimited data plan to get a Droid phone.  Now the battery is weak, the screen times out randomly, apps drop.  I went to the Verizon store to see what options I had to upgrade early to a Galaxy.  The sales staff pushes the new Edge plan--switch and upgrade at no cost and be able to upgrade every 6 months with no contract.  Sounds great-except the FULL retail price of the phone you get is divided and tacked onto your monthly service plan bill and if you try to upgrade at 6months (or even a yr.) your phone is not "paid off".  They will not extend existing contracts only offer Edge, waiting until I'm due for upgrade in Nov., or pay full price for another phone.  I've had Verizon for almost 20 yrs. but I'm shopping other carriers that have comparable plans at lower prices and also shopping on line to just get the new phone now and switch---it would be cheaper even with verizon's ETF.

Not applicable

The phones will last quite long if you the customer/consumer take care of them.

Why would Verizon be responsible for how you treat your device.

I still have the first bag phone from NEC from 36 years ago. I have every device still in excellent condition and all of them are back in their original boxes and fully operable.

You have to take care of your device. You don't put it in your back pocket, you don't put it in your shoe, in your swim suit, or in a pocket that it is so tight it shatters. I carry my devices in a protective pouch on my belt, I have the phone covered at all times, I have a case around the device etc, it is all in the way you care for it. That device can last you many years.

The old phones had removable batteries, the newer ones today have internal sealed batteries which will drain out. You can always have the company replace the battery. No need to pay a gazillion dollars for a new phone for a $50-$100 battery.

My advice is take care of the device and it will take care of you when needed.

Good Luck

rcschnoor
Legend

I am not even as careful as you are, Elector, and ALL of my devices last well over 2 years.

I carry a Droid Razr Maxx in my front pocket. I carry a Samsung Galaxy S3 in my front pocket. I carry a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 in my front pocket. NONE of them have cases, although they all have screen protectors. While these phones are NOT 2 years old, the S3 and Razr Maxx HD are well older than 1 yr and are working just fine. The phone I had previously, Droid X, lasted over 2 years with the same treatment and STILL works perfectly.

Of course, I don't have the phones in a pocket with my keys, change, rocks, golf balls, etc... I also don't wear skin tight pants. I laugh every time I see my daughters with their iPhones in their "skinny" jeans pockets, which ARE skin tight, and think of all the stress which is placed on the phone when carried in this fashion. I am sure that MANY phones with screen cracks are routinely carried in this method and the phone owner are oblivious to their part in the damage to the phone.

camstep
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree with your thoughts but I do take care of my devices, I have a seidio case and screen protector on the phone and a holster pouch I put the phone in when it's in my purse or carried on my person.  This is the first time since I have had a cell phone that I have had issues within 2 years,  I don't have to have the " latest and greatest new thing" and try to choose a durable phone since I tend to keep them for atleast a couple of years.  With all the rapidly increasing technology and updates I understand why Verizon offers the Edge program but I still think there should be other options for consumers from a major company with millions of customers. 

0 Likes
camstep
Enthusiast - Level 2

I didn't get an I phone due to cracked screen issues but that makes alot of sense.  I don't know how some people can walk (or breathe) in those jeans much less get a phone in their pocket!  Ahhh to be young again....

B33
Legend

You Bettya they will   and I can attest to it when I got my Droid Maxx)  I took my Droid X  that came out 3 years ago July of 2010 I took it with me to the store I go to the phone in it's Original Box with Papers and the original charger I got a $100 accessory Gift Card and that is how I came out of the Verizon store with a new shiny Jambox Speaker or I could of chose many other things totaling a Value of a $100 not a shabby deal on a phone that was 3 years old..  

0 Likes
Killerdo
Enthusiast - Level 2

What evidence tells you these phones were not babied????

0 Likes
Killerdo
Enthusiast - Level 2

0 Likes
ReconDoc911
Enthusiast - Level 2

I take excellent care of my phones, I have never had a problem with a single phone except these Motorola Droids...No More

0 Likes