Why isn't my microphone working?
Stormhound
Enthusiast - Level 1

The microphone on my Droid MAXX recently cut out; I am able to hear callers, but they cannot hear me.  Google Now cannot hear my voice, even when I shout into the phone.  This is not an intermittent problem; I cannot get the mic to work for even a brief period of time.

Sound output on my phone works fine...I can hear notifications, music, other callers.  All other functions work properly; I can send texts, set alarms, you name it...I just can't get it to hear my voice.

I've had the phone for 21 months now, and in trying to find solutions I've come across plenty of people with the same problem.  Things I've tried to do thus far, that have not worked, even temporarily:

1. Software update.  I'm on the most current version of phone software offered by Verizon (last update was Nov. 4).

2. Soft boots.  After every one of the other things on this list.  And after any app updates.

3. Factory reset. 

4. Force stop of all apps not native to phone.  Including removal of said apps, just in case one of them was causing the problem.  Also includes clearing cache for apps.  And reinstalling apps to make sure they were installed correctly.

5. Checking microphone hole for debris.  No sign of any; I've also tried compressed air to blow out anything in there, and (very carefully and gently) probing with one of my wife's smallest sewing needles.  Nada.

If anyone has any bright ideas, I'm all ears.  (You just won't be able to hear my reply, haha.)

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Microphone not working
unicorns1207
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you have a ringtone app delete it that's what someone else did and what I did. Restart your phone and the microphone will work again with OK Google and other apps that need it hope this helps everyone

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely want to make sure you have a good working phone at all times, stormhound. It is so important to be able to use your phone for calls. Thank you so much for troubleshooting the device.  Can other callers hear you on speaker phone? Have you tried using an earpiece at all? Have you checked if your phone is still under a manufacture warranty?

DanielleR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
LylesMoore

I'm having the same issue too with my S6.  There appears to be a major issue with this phone microphone. 

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've had problems with callers not hearing me on my S6 - I swapped out the case for another, as it put a "barrier" around the mic which seemed to block sound - changing to a case that didn't come near the mic improved the sound issue.  I also turned OFF HD calling (Advanced Calling) and that, along with the new case. seems to have resolved the sound problems, for now.

0 Likes
richc007

I'm having exact same issue and have tried TS same steps to no avail.  WHat can I try next?

0 Likes
unicorns1207
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you have a ringtone app delete it that's what someone else did and what I did. Restart your phone and the microphone will work again with OK Google and other apps that need it hope this helps everyone

0 Likes