Why won't international wi-fi work after the upgrade?
ostrowlaw
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got back from Israel, previously I was in Europe.  Both trips I bought Verizon's international plan.  I got both voice and text OK no problems.  However, I could not get any internet (other than free WIFI in hotspots) using a telephone network.  Nothing, nada, zip, zilch.

All settings have been checked and rechecked.  I went into the Verizon store and they told me that the settings were correct (set up for Mobile Networks, Data Enabled, Global Data roaming enabled, Network Mode Global).

I don't get it.  I had taken this phone on other trips in the past with absolutely no problem.  Now, it can't connect to local networks for internet.

Is this a software bug?  Android version 4.1.2 which appears to be the latest version (no updates available).

I am leaving on another trip to Europe and would certainly like to resolve this once and for all.

Thanks for your help.

Alan O

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: International wifi not working on Razr Maxx with all upgrades
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I understand your concerns, and how important it is to have a working phone on a business trip, ostrowlaw!

Before your next trip, you can reach out to our Global Support Team, to ensure things are set up correctly. They can be reached at 800-711-8300. Once there, if you begin having any trouble, you can contact Global support toll free at 908-559-4899.

MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

There is never a guarantee of your device connecting to any network while outside of the USA.

Also, if you are back in the USA then there is no way to troubleshoot this issue because you're only going to be able to connect to the VZW network.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
ostrowlaw, we hope that this Wi-Fi issue didn't ruin your trip to Israel. We want to make sure that you don't have this problem again when you go to Europe. Did you subscribe to a Global Data plan to take advantage of Unlimited Usage on selected Global Wi-Fi hotspots? http://vz.to/1P0ICHg  Were you using the local hotspot connection at various locations in Israel? 

LasinaH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
ostrowlaw
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, it certainly made a dent in my ability to get my email and carry on semblance of business.  I was able to connect to wifi, just not roaming carriers' international wifi of any type!  I tried all possible carriers and connections.  And,  yes, I purchased the Verizon International package before I left.

Very frustrating.  I am thinking that perhaps it has something to do with one of the updates to the phone's software (??).

I understand that there is no way to troubleshoot this in the US (I already got this advice when I returned from my last trip).

I need to get this working for my next trip.  What good is an International phone for business when it cannot be used for business?

Anyone?

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Which device are you using?

0 Likes
ostrowlaw
Enthusiast - Level 2

Motorola Droid Razr Maxx 16GB.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Whoops! I see. Disregard my question.

0 Likes
ostrowlaw
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do you have any information about this "bug".  I am telling you that last year I used the same phone in Europe, this year nothing! 

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Me personally? No.

Honestly, your device should connect, if capable, whether or not you have the global data package for $25. The only reason for this package is to get 100MB for $25 instead of 1MB for $20.48. If you were able to make and receive calls and texts you already have the international dialing feature on your account.

The only thing that I could think of would be the Data Roaming Services setting on the device and this setting is not on Allow.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I understand your concerns, and how important it is to have a working phone on a business trip, ostrowlaw!

Before your next trip, you can reach out to our Global Support Team, to ensure things are set up correctly. They can be reached at 800-711-8300. Once there, if you begin having any trouble, you can contact Global support toll free at 908-559-4899.

MichelleH_VZW
0 Likes