Re: android version 4.4.2 on my motorola droid razr maxx hd and it is constantly crashing...
JoeMcPherson41
Enthusiast - Level 1

How is the correct fix a hard reset? Because of an update that is pushed through on to the consumer that causes a phone to become inoperable at times, I now have to reset the phone and lose everything? There has to be a better fix. Is Android in the process of any updates or patches that will fix the bugs?

0 Likes
Re: android version 4.4.2 on my motorola droid razr maxx hd and it is constantly crashing...
dlw_droid
Enthusiast - Level 1

Update:  I didn't get to the Verizon store today, but I discovered that it doesn't crash when the "currently running apps" window, or any other window that hides the main screen, is up.  So I launched Voice Command before it could crash, then used that to launch the basic apps (phone, email, text, etc), so I can use it that way until I get to the store.

0 Likes
dcviper
Enthusiast - Level 2

Spoke too soon. It's crashing again. It seemed stable for a while, then as soon as I left the house (i.e. went on LTE rather than WiFi) I started having problems. Further evidence that this is modem related. Did this update push new modem software? When I factory reset the device it switched the compiler back to Dalvik. Having switched to ART earlier seemed to alleviate some of the problems.

0 Likes
dcviper
Enthusiast - Level 2

That doesn't seem like a reasonable solution.

0 Likes
dlw_droid
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's not reasonable at all.

I just got off the chat with a Verizon rep, after a wait -- they're busy.  She tried to help, but the phone wouldn't cooperate.  The Backup Assistant can only restore my contacts, which I had already done since they were in Google.  The rest of my stuff is stored in Cloud, which crashes.  There's a ticket in for that.  But then she told me that Cloud will only restore media, and that's no help because I can easily reload that from this computer.  Cloud won't save me from having to re-download apps and re-setup accounts like email and Amazon and such. 

Nope, nothing reasonable about that. 

0 Likes
JoeMcPherson41
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've also noticed this happens a lot during the evening hours. Is that just a coincidence? I'd say between 6-8:30pm is when it happens the most, and comes in waves of restarts. Is there any other solution out there before a hard reset?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JoeMcPherson41,

I am sorry to hear about the device crashing since the software update. If the device still crashes while it is "Safe Mode" as was provided earlier the next best step would be do do an factory reset of the device. Let us know if the issue persists after the factory reset. http://vz.to/1raDhS3

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
dlw_droid
Enthusiast - Level 1

Update: phone worked for a week after factory reset, but now it has a new issue.  I don't think they're related, so will post it separately.

0 Likes