Re: apps to replace the ICS notification bar
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The blue color of the notification bar is a stock Android feature starting with Honeycomb (3.0) and continued into ICS (Android 4.0). If the Razr is using it then Motorola decided not to tweak the notification bar from the stock Android. At least that's one consistent thing across multiple manufacturer of Android phones who add their own UI skins. I will have to agree that the blue is harder to read then the white of my Tbolt in the sun. On the other side of the coin, the blue isn't as harsh when viewing the screen inside. The battery life probably benefits as well.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Duewester wrote:

I'm not a programmer but I think some of the cosmetic changes may actually be saving some battery life.

In GB my unlock was big green bright circles and lines with big red bright ones when wrong. Lots of power to the screen to drive that. Now the thinner dimmer lines. Less Power.

Monochrome notification, again more power management. Besides, how much time do we really spend in the notification bar. The mono blue is probably less of a drain than other colors. Some developer somewhere could probably tell us just how many microamps per pixel it takes to drive the screens.

Just my two cents.

Honestly I haven't considered the impact of the colors on battery usage, that is a unique way to look at things... 

But I still think it isn't the most attractive thing to look at, kind of seem strange to release screens that is designed for more color but then modify the UI to a monochrome design.. Kind of removes from the experience.

You make a valid point also Ann but I guess I have because a color addict, and this is where HTC devices are more to my liking because they have skins that allows you to change a number of the UI color schemes to your liking.

0 Likes
Duewester
Contributor - Level 2

What's the battery life on an HTC like? Using a comparable sized battery to one in a Motorola phone.

I've never had an HTC and I'm thinking about my wife and moving her to a smart phone. One with fewer bells and whistles and maybe a different user interface experience. She uses a plane Jane LG phone and mumbled something about "prying it from cold dead hands" when I mentioned that her contract was about to expire.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Normally HTC battery life isn't the best when you are using the stock battery's usually, but the newer devices has been reporting better battery life.  I use the extended battery on my HTC Thunderbolt and I love the battery life I get with it...   It is a preference thing really and depends on how users use their device.

All I can say is all the the UI are power hogs so basically it is the choice of the user...

0 Likes
Duewester
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Wildman.

I was just curious if since these machines all use a base android, if it might be the way the different manufacturers incorporate their front ends that might be the battery hog issue. Something for a different forum I'm sure.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

This is what i think these Companies need to do Wildman i think they ought to let the Individual be the one to choose how they want there Device to Look: Sure it would be a little more work for the (Said Companies) to set there systems up were they could be adjustable but in the Long run i think they'd have a Vast no. of people like it a hole allot better..but that's just my little thoughts of it. b33

Wildman
Legend

You hit hammer on the head...  The integration process could very well the nature of a number of devices issues but the manufacturer had to do something to make their device stand out from the reset.