does not read sd card
sprink1

Phone is preparing sd card. "checking for errors". the sd card works on different phones. Anyone else have same problems?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: does not read sd card
Montel2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi,

I've never had this issue, was SD card "dismounted" before removal from previous phone? Can it be read by a PC? What size is it and is it unlocked?

0 Likes
sprink1

Yes dismounted, I put in my wife’s s4 and seen all pic. Just bought new 16g sd card put it in and same issues. Always says, preparing sd card checking for errors

0 Likes
Montel2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for replying,

I've Googled this issue and it seems to be quite pervasive, and isn't confined to one brand or class of SD Card. The closest I came to finding s solution is this information from the online MOTO X troubleshooting guide:

How do I troubleshoot problems with the microSD card in the phone?

Formatting the memory card

If you are experiencing issues with your memory card being recognized, you may simply need to re-mount your card.

If you selected Unmount SDcard, but did not format the card, you will need to briefly reconnect your data cable to the handset and PC for SDcard to be recognized again by the handset. After the handset and computer recognize the connection, simply remove the cable to prepare the SDcard for use by the handset again.

To format the microSD card:

Please disconnect USBcable from computer and handset or procedure will not work.

Warning: All data on your memory card will be deleted.

1. Press the Menu key from the Home Screen

2. Touch Settings
  3. Touch SD card & phone storage
  4. Touch Format SD card
  5. Touch Format SD card again to confirm

Note: Formatting will erase ALL contents on your SD card. These items will not be retreivable.

Troubleshooting Memory Card Issues

Before you begin the troubleshooting steps below please note the following:

• DROID X uses a microSD card

• DROID X supports up to 32 Gb card

• If you intend to use a card that was used by another device, you will need to format the card.

Can't store media on memory card

• Try removing and reinserting the card in the phone while the phone is off and power on.
  • Ensure the card is not damaged
  • Try putting the card in the phone and formatting it before moving any files onto.

Phone can't read card

• Try putting the card in the phone and formatting it before moving any files onto it.
  • Ensure the memory card is not damaged.
  • Check to ensure the card is "mounted". Android devices require you to have the card mounted in order for the card to be recognized. To check the card is mounted, press Menu > Settings > SD card & phone storage > ensure that Unmount SD Card is highlighted. If it is not highlighted you can format the card, or power cycle the phone.
  • Try putting your SD card in another phone or PC. If you still cannot access your card, your SD card may be corrupted or need to be formatted.

Can't insert card

• Ensure you're using the right memory card.
  • Ensure the card is not damaged.
  • Ensure that there are no foreign objects in the phone's card holder blocking the memory card from going in.

Can't Remove card

• Ensure the card is not damaged.
  • Ensure that there are no foreign objects in the phone's card holder blocking the memory card from coming out.

"SD Card is Blank or Unsupported File System" Message

• If you receive this error, your SD Card may need to be formatted. (Connect your phone to your PC and back up your information before doing so) CLICK HERE for instructions.
  • If your PC still cannot recognize the SD Card, try taking the SD card out of the phone and putting it in your card adaptor and connect directly to your PC.

Good Luck!

0 Likes
sprink1

I went out and bought a new card and it does not recognize the new one also. It will not let me format or mount or unmounted. The phone does not know there is a card in it.

-

Montel2 <forums@verizonwireless.com> wrote:

Montel2 created the discussion

"Re: does not read sd card"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1050703#1050703

>

0 Likes
Montel2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wow,

At this point, I'd say you have a hardware failure.

0 Likes