how do i arrange my contacts into groups
charliemmann
Enthusiast - Level 2

I logged in on a computer, and accessed my contacts that way. I tried to arrange my contacts into usable groups by creating a group, and then putting a check mark next to the contacts I want in that group. When I finished and clicked ok, I got an error message saying that group was already full, or something strange like that. It was a new, empty group. Why? How do i easily create groups, without having to spell out the names of the individuals?????

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: how do i arrange my contacts into groups
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

If you use Google to manage your contacts then you can easily create groups as you described and assign users to that group on your computer or on your phone.  It will be updated across devices.  But you can choose to use the phone  or some other app/portal and the process is different.  I love using only Google to manage my contacts.  I back them up locally too using Go Backup.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I would love to help you get this figured out, charliemmann. Have you tried setting up the groups using the interface on the phone via 'Contacts'?

ChaunceyM_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

charliemmann
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, it wants me to type each individual name out, wait till that contact pops up, and then select it........ if like me one has many contacts, it is easy to see that this is not a productive way of doing this task...... It is much easier to just be able to see my whole contact list, put check marks next to the contacts I want in a particular list, and then click create........ 🙂

0 Likes
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

If you use Google to manage your contacts then you can easily create groups as you described and assign users to that group on your computer or on your phone.  It will be updated across devices.  But you can choose to use the phone  or some other app/portal and the process is different.  I love using only Google to manage my contacts.  I back them up locally too using Go Backup.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can see exactly where you want to go with this task, charliemmann. Do you happen to have the new KitKat software on your phone?

What happens if you go to Apps>People>Groups and create the group? This is the only feasible way that I can find to create a group of people. I do believe it will only allow a certain number of contacts per group.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
charliemmann
Enthusiast - Level 2

a certain number? why? yes I have kitkat upgrade. I am confused about your last response verizon wireless customer support. in my original post I explained what i wanted to do. in my response, i explained that typing in each and every individual name to add to a list was unacceptable. I AM PAYING MORE FOR VERIZON CELLULAR SERVICE THAN I WOULD WITH ANY OTHER CARRIER. 🙂     i expect more from people who get a large portion of my income.

Is it a lack of forward thinking that would cause the app developer to design groups with size limits? in you last post the process you describe go to Apps>People>Groups and create the group, takes me to a screen to type in each individual person's name to be added to a group...... ? why?    I should be able to just place a check mark next to the contacts to add to a group and then click add.    Is something going to be done to remedy this grossly over looked problem?

0 Likes
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

I agree it's bad... Really bad programming.  But like I suggested earlier you can use your computer and log into your Google account to quickly setup new groups and at your contacts. It will sync with your phone.  I have a group with 291 users.  I don't think there is a limit online.

charliemmann
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok. My google account is empty of contacts. so I get on my phone, click sync, and this should upload my existing contacts to gmail/ google contacts, right? no. it doesn't. my contacts list in google is empty. any idea how to fix this?

0 Likes
charliemmann
Enthusiast - Level 2

and I find the verizon company, and its 'customer service' department to be seriously lacking........... where is customer service?

0 Likes
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

Before you panic check to make sure you have a small g Google icon next to each of your contacts in your phone. If you do,  check to make sure that the Google account you logged into on your computer is the same account on your phone for your contacts.  You like many may have multiple Google accounts and you simply loved into the wrong one.

If you do not have a little g next to each contact then that means your contact (s) is dabbed elsewhere,  probably just on your device and it   is NOT syncing with your Google account. 

If you are on a Droid Maxx with a ton of contacts saved to your device and you want to sync with google,  you will need to Export the contacts from your phone as a vcf file,  and then using your pc you will log into google and import that same file into Google. It should take you 3 minutes. 

That's the fastest way I know to move your contacts. Your contact pics should move too.   I don't have a Maxx I have am Ultra but I am not familiar with a way to move multiple contacts from the device to the google account from the phone. 

Lastly and going forward make sure you select your Google account every time you create a new contact.  It gives you the option to choose where you want to save your contacts.  Leaving them on the phone is dangerous for loss.

0 Likes