unlock gsm for USA
SuperGonz
Enthusiast - Level 1

My contract is up. Since the XT912 is CDMA & GSM capable, what do I need to do for

VW to unlock this phone to be used on American (US) GSM networks? This is not for Europe

or Asia, so I don't need to hear about it already being unlocked for overseas. I own the phone & would

like to keep it, and use it. Should I find a better deal elsewhere, I'd like the option to use this phone.

Any ideas?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: unlock gsm for USA
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Bwembo,

Thank you very much for those details! They were very helpful. Now that we have all the pieces to this puzzle we have an answer. You would definitely be able to use those phones on and off when you need them. Our 4G LTE devices come unlocked when you receive them; however, keep in mind that just because a phone is unlocked that does not make it fully inter-carrier operable. Carriers typically use different technologies and this may mean that not all capabilities of the device will function. The Galaxy S 4 is fully compatible with our Prepay Services, so that may be an excellent route to go for occasional use of these phones.

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello SuperGonz!

I have great news! Verizon Wireless does use the RAZR device. Was this device used with another carrier first? Which carrier?

Please provide me with some additional details so I can help.

Thanks,

ChristinaB_VZW
VZW Support

0 Likes
SuperGonz
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's currently on VW. I'd potentially like to use it elsewhere (not absolute, but options must remain open).

What hoops do I need to jump through to get it unlocked (and does that re-enable the built-in GSM chip?)

greengrass95
Contributor - Level 2

I am curious to know myself. I have the same phone.

0 Likes
Bwembo

Both my wife and I have the Samsung Galaxy 4 LTE. When our two year contract expires, I would like to upgrade both my phone and the wife's to new phones but be able to use our current phones domestically for when we have foreign visitors so they have communication while staying with us. I imagine there isn't any purpose to be served for Verizon to keep any grip on our current phones but would like some official word as to how old phones are handled.

Thanks for the help

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Bwembo it's awesome that you're looking into getting new devices for your family! I certainly understand your concern in the use of your old devices and we'll make sure that everything is clear! Are you looking to use the old devices with us or another provider when you have visitors?

AshleyS_VZW

0 Likes
Bwembo

I do not have a preference at this time for a provider for these s4 phones, since they are still under a current 2 year agreement. What I would want to have is just a short term use while I have friends and family from other countries visit, like maybe two weeks at a time. Other than that, the old phones will be good WiFi toys for the kids. So will Verizon unlock the old phones for such use by any other compatible provider once I obtain new phones? To be honest, if Verizon is going to try and maintain their grip on old phones, I would be less likely to even consider getting new phones because this would force me to purchase new unlocked phones for visitors, in which case I would not be happy with Verizon and move on.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Bwembo,

Thank you very much for those details! They were very helpful. Now that we have all the pieces to this puzzle we have an answer. You would definitely be able to use those phones on and off when you need them. Our 4G LTE devices come unlocked when you receive them; however, keep in mind that just because a phone is unlocked that does not make it fully inter-carrier operable. Carriers typically use different technologies and this may mean that not all capabilities of the device will function. The Galaxy S 4 is fully compatible with our Prepay Services, so that may be an excellent route to go for occasional use of these phones.

SarahO_VZW

0 Likes