upgrade results in diminished battery life
hilllaw
Enthusiast - Level 1

you recently upgraded software on my phone and my wife's phone. Since that time the phone gets very hot and the battery life has been cut in half. I read your response to another unhappy user in which he was told to go to the Verizon store. I did that and was told that I could either upgrade my phone or try a hard reset which would wipe out my data and my apps. This is obviously a problem with the upgrade, since I am not the only one having this problem. I would expect a patch to be sent out immediately to fix the problem.

Labels (2)
Re: upgrade results in diminished battery life
petee17
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the same problem with my phone. The battery will last no longer than 3 hours after a full charge. It would get extremely hot and sometimes it will stop charging at 68 %

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

hillaw,

Let's bring the battery's temperature down a notch! Does the battery get hot when in use or when the phone is idle? How strong is her signal throughout the day? Are there any applications running when you notice the phone is gettting hot and battery life drains quickly?

KarenC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
hilllaw
Enthusiast - Level 1

The battery typically gets hot when the phone is idle.  Prior to the upgrade it tended to occur when I was in a low signal area.  The Church is the only area where signal strength is low, so it generally only occurred on Sunday.  Now it gets hot even in a high signal area.

The batter drain is the most significant issue.  I unplugged the phone from the charge at 6:30 this morning, used the phone moderately and mostly to read text on the phone.  The batter was down to 17% by 6:30 pm (12 hours).  Prior to the upgrade it would be at 30+% after 18 hours of moderate use.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

hilllaw,

Thanks for this additional information! Are you running any apps in the background that could be draining the battery? Go into your app manager to disable a few apps and monitor the device to see if this helps.

Thank you!

EdW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
MichaelH1967
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same Problem and its ridiculous that this problem is not being addressed. My phone experiences very light usage and a full charge would last into day number 4... IMMEDIATELY following the update my battery was dead with in 3 hours. I have went to bed at night with the phone on the night stand charged 100% and the alarm fails to go off in the morning because the phone has completely died. Various other issues since the update include gallery being unresponsive, random reboots on its own and the list goes on.... Verizon, please start by addressing the battery life because it is maddening... telling people it is an "unknown issue" or "visit your Verizon store" is NOT addressing the problem !

GATed73

Been suffering long enough after the KitKat upgrade.  Figured it was time to post.

1).  Phone runs hot - my theory is that it's struggling to find/keep LTE and cycling too much on the network

2).  Battery life is horrible now.  Used to end the day after normal use at 45% remaining, now recharging by mid-day

3).  Text messages sometimes take up to 10 minutes to send

4).  Random slowdowns - too many to really list, one app or another will freeze, not connect.  I realize this can be an app issue, but still - a real drag.

Will not do a hard reset - I would rather pay out my contract and go to another carrier, seriously.  Battery usage shows that Android System is taking up most of the juice - 24% usually.  The phone worked great at one point, now it's junk.

For real, do I have to go to a Windows phone?  Is that the life lesson here?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand your discontent with the battery life and the other issues you are experiencing after the latest software update MichaelH1967! My son has the same phone model and he also experienced similar issues after the update. We resolved by doing a factory reset, http://vz.to/z30zKf Give it a try.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes