Called ID on phone barely working
mkgator2

The caller ID on my phone just shows the state the caller lives in.  It will only say "Florida" and not the person's name.  I know they do not have called ID blocked because it was showing their names when I had Brighthouse last week.

Ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Called ID on phone barely working
VZ_Brian
Contributor - Level 2

mkgator wrote:

The caller ID on my phone just shows the state the caller lives in.  It will only say "Florida" and not the person's name.  I know they do not have called ID blocked because it was showing their names when I had Brighthouse last week.

Ideas?

There is actually a separate feature that you must have added to your account called "Caller ID with Name".  It is possible that this isn't on your profile.  I will look into that for you. 
0 Likes
telecomdave

I am subscribed to Caller ID with Name.  While this usually works fine, I often see a wireless call as the number and "Wireless Caller."

I too see some out of area calls coming in with the number and "XXX" , where XXX typically shows a state.

Real question is - what is actually sent from originating operating company?  Is it just number or name and number?  I'm able to manipulate the called number on our PBX and, mistakenly, applied the wrong NXX (local exchange) to my number.  When I called home my wife asked why the number was correct but the name showed as a pizza shop.  That would suggest that the number to name translation takes place somewhere near the receiving end of the call ????

Message Edited by telecomdave on 07-30-2009 07:48 AM
0 Likes
1995hoo
Unfortunately, that sort of thing is not unusual in some parts of the country, and it's not the fault of your equipment or anything on your end. It normally happens because the caller's carrier sets it up that way. Not very helpful when you get a call from a number you don't recognize and it merely says "FLORIDA" or "CALIFORNIA," is it?
0 Likes
robxr4ti
Enthusiast - Level 2

@telecomdave wrote:

I am subscribed to Caller ID with Name.  While this usually works fine, I often see a wireless call as the number and "Wireless Caller."

I too see some out of area calls coming in with the number and "XXX" , where XXX typically shows a state.

Real question is - what is actually sent from originating operating company?  Is it just number or name and number?  I'm able to manipulate the called number on our PBX and, mistakenly, applied the wrong NXX (local exchange) to my number.  When I called home my wife asked why the number was correct but the name showed as a pizza shop.  That would suggest that the number to name translation takes place somewhere near the receiving end of the call ????

Message Edited by telecomdave on 07-30-2009 07:48 AM

Usually when you get just a state, it is a telemarketer or bill collector.  They mask their names so you don't know who it is in hopes that you will pick up.  I've been tortured recently by someone ID'd as just "California" that included a bogus phone number.  They would call every hour on the hour with nothing on the other side if I answered.  Finally, I gave up and got Call Intercept to block the number.

0 Likes
telecomdave

While some are definitely telemarketers, others are clearly not.  I have two children who live in Ohio and I'm in NJ.  Sometimes, when they call me it simply shows as Ohio, other times it shows their name.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I beleive the local operating company has some control of the name portion of the caller ID. 

Also, Congress has mandated that everyone supply caller ID but there are a lot of loop holes - like if its too expensive for a local operating company to supply - typical federal law....

0 Likes