Duplicate Text Messages for Voice Mail Notifications
DMacL

I am very new to FiOS Digital Voice. 

I was testing out some of the features and turned on Text Alerts for Voice Mails.  I am getting duplicate messages (two messages for every voicemail received).  The messages basically come together - exactly at the same time.  

I am using a non-stock text message app on my Android device (Handcent SMS) and I know that this CAN be a problem, but I checked all the settings and the stock text message program is set to be "turned off" and I am not receiving duplicate messages with any other service that provides alerts.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Duplicate Text Messages for Voice Mail Notifications
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

To see if this is related to your phone, try temporarily putting in a friend or family members cell and leave a few test voicemail messages to see if it duplicates on their phone. Please post back if any additional help is needed.

0 Likes
DMacL

Good suggestion Anthony.

Tried it and isolated it to being my phone.  

I checked and I am getting the double text message in both the stock text app and Handcent.

Any other ideas?

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

This does not rule out the handset itself, phone line, or carrier. Are you able to test with a different telephone number?

0 Likes
DMacL

Sorry for the late reply...

I tested with a different number, different phone, etc. and only one message is produced.

The only scenario that appears to produce duplicate messages is:

HTC Thunderbolt (not rooted) on Android 2.3.4, with both the stock text message program or Handcent SMS.

So it is either

(a) the combination of phone/software.

(b) somehow my cell number is in the database twice  (I have tried deleting it and re-adding it).

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

is the sender the same on both messages?  

usually one will say callassistant@ and one will say fiosadmin@

which are you getting,  or is it a different sender name altogether?

0 Likes
DMacL

Same sender....  noreply@verizon.net

Same time/date stamp...

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

The database for the voicemail service would not allow multiple entries like that. So If its working fine with another phone or another number, then we know it has to be related to the cell phone service some how. Sorry for the inconvience this causes.

0 Likes