Switched to fios triple play and now I can't receive some calls with new digital voice service
jct5

On 8/9 I had my new plan/service installed/activated; I upgraded from fios double play (phone/internet).  Everything worked well with that plan; however, with my new plan I can make all outgoing calls but incoming calls from other people are hit and miss.  A lot of people have been getting a busy signal ever since I switched.  I called tech support  numerous times and they have been unable to resolve this issue.  They said that since it happens some times and not others there is really no way for them to trouble shoot.  I find this unacceptable.  They said that I could switch back to fios voice but I would have to pay more.  I also find this unacceptable since it is the verizon service that is NOT working.  I chose the triple play because it was cost effective and I got a good deal. 

Does anyone have a good reason, or reason at all for that matter why some calls go through but others get a busy signal?

0 Likes
Re: Switched to fios triple play and now I can't receive some calls with new digital voice service
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

This sounds like it could be a "port" problem for your number.  When you got digital voice, where did you port your number from?  (i.e. who was your phone provider previously?)     Those experiencing problems -- are they consistent?   Do they always have the problem reaching your number?

What can happen is that when you port your number over to a new service, your old provider may not properly release the number from their tables.  When this happens, any callers who are customers of your old provider will not have their call properly routed.   Customers of your current provider or of other providers have no issue.

So, what you need to gather in order to help track down the problem is the source number of anyone having the problem AND their phone service provider.  See if there is a common thread.   If you can find a few phone numbers which consistently have problems reaching you and can get those details, then you stand a better chance of getting a resolution.

When I recently moved my phone service from Vonage to a new carrier, I ended up having to call Vonage a few weeks AFTER the port completed and have them release my number from their tables before individuals who were still Vonage customers were able to reach me.  During this time period, calls from other individuals (on Verizon, etc.) were completed without issue.

Re: Switched to fios triple play and now I can't receive some calls with new digital voice service
jct5

I had Verizon Freedom Essentials prior to Digital Voice.  So same carrier, but new problem.  Didn't have this issue when I had copper line.  My in-laws who also have Verizon phone service, copper as well, always got through before, but now that I switched to digital voice they ALWAYS get a busy signal.  We have friends who have Verizon and they always get a busy signal as well when they try to call.  Cell phones seem to get through.  My wife's hair dresser tried calling the other day from work and they got a busy signal as well.  However, we had one friend who has Verizon call and she was able to get through.

0 Likes
jct5

Now when my in-laws call they don't even get a busy signal.  They get a message saying that our phone number is no longer in service. 

WHAT IS GOING ON?

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is sounding more and more like the port problem I describe earlier in the thread...  whatever provider your in-laws are using (probably the same as your old provider) is still holding the number in it's number pool and not routing it off their network for call completion.  

Can others still call you?

If no one can call you, then it could be that Verizon botched their end of the port or deallocated the number inappropriately (those are tough to fix if the number gets reassigned to someone else), but if it still works for some, then the problem is usually at the other end and call is needed to that provider.   Can you provide the details on who your former carrier was and the carrier your inlaws are using?

0 Likes
jct5

I was using Verizon (Freedom Essentials package) copper line.  My in-laws have Verizon as well.  The only change made was me upgrading from copper to digital.

0 Likes
jct5

Yes.  Some people can get through and others can't.  It only seems to be with landlines.  Cell phones seem to always get through.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK ... so it sounds like the part of Verizon which manages the copper network failed to deprovision the number when they ported it over to Digital Voice ... it's a left hand / right hand thing .. .same company, but different provisioning systems internally.

So, you need to call the Verizon voice tech support folks and tell them that you recently switched from regular Verizon phone service to Verizon Digital Voice and that since that time, everyone can call you who is NOT on the regular Verizon phone network, but those on the regular network get a "busy" or "disconnect" message.  

0 Likes
jct5

Thanks.  I hope that works.

0 Likes
jct5

OK...sounds like I had standard fios phone service before upgrading package to fios voice.  Bottom line...called fios solutions two nights ago and the lady ran a test...didn't work so she sent a technician to my house today to check the box outside.  Guess what - he didn't find anything wrong.  So I switched back to standard fios phone service today.  Hopefully by tomorrow my caller id will work correctly and ALL who try to call will get through.

Funny thing is that the lady I spoke to with fiber solutions said that numerous people are having trouble with digital voice because it is still in its infancy stage and alot of people are switching back to fios standard service.

0 Likes