Voicemail
VABelle1
Newbie

I have a traditional landline (not FIOS digital) and am trying to set up voicemail. When I dial 1.888.234.6786 and entered my phone number, message said it was an invalid number. Then I tried *86 and it said "you have just deactivated this service." How do I set up my voicemail??

0 Likes
Reply
1 Solution
jonjones1
Legend

@VABelle wrote:

I have a traditional landline (not FIOS digital) and am trying to set up voicemail. When I dial 1.888.234.6786 and entered my phone number, message said it was an invalid number. Then I tried *86 and it said "you have just deactivated this service." How do I set up my voicemail??


https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/homephone/calling-features/voicemail

If you are on your own phone its *86 then follow the prompts. If you are calling away from your home from another location you call the toll free number and follow the prompts. Normally it will say please enter your passcode. If never used before it could be four ZEROS or the last four numbers of your phone. If set properly at home the *86 will not require a passcode. But will when calling off your home system.

read the link above.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Reply
9 Replies
jonjones1
Legend

@VABelle wrote:

I have a traditional landline (not FIOS digital) and am trying to set up voicemail. When I dial 1.888.234.6786 and entered my phone number, message said it was an invalid number. Then I tried *86 and it said "you have just deactivated this service." How do I set up my voicemail??


https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/homephone/calling-features/voicemail

If you are on your own phone its *86 then follow the prompts. If you are calling away from your home from another location you call the toll free number and follow the prompts. Normally it will say please enter your passcode. If never used before it could be four ZEROS or the last four numbers of your phone. If set properly at home the *86 will not require a passcode. But will when calling off your home system.

read the link above.

0 Likes
Reply
VABelle1
Newbie

When I dial *86, it says "You have just deactivated this feature." When I dial the 1-888 phone number, it says to enter my 10-digit phone # and press pound but when I do that, it says "Sorry, that is not a valid phone number."

0 Likes
Reply
jonjones1
Legend

Read the link i gave you. It tells how to set up voicemail and how to retrieve it.

on a last resort you can call verizon and they can set it for you. But you still need to use the proper way to retrieve it. The normal access is to call your own number from outside your home. Then when it starts talking to push the pound # sign. Then enter your passcode and then follow the prompts.

0 Likes
Reply
VABelle1
Newbie

I had already seen the link you posted & even had it bookmarked. I tried calling my own number from outside and it just rings & rings, never going to any kind of voicemail option. And yes, I did call Verizon & after trying several things that didn't work, a ticket was created. I haven't heard back since.

0 Likes
Reply
jonjones1
Legend

@VABelle wrote:

I had already seen the link you posted & even had it bookmarked. I tried calling my own number from outside and it just rings & rings, never going to any kind of voicemail option. And yes, I did call Verizon & after trying several things that didn't work, a ticket was created. I haven't heard back since.


Then verizon will fix the issue if a ticket was given. I would call them over and over to get it fixed. As another option if you contact your states Public Utilities Commission or Public Service Commission via google search and tell them of the non service they can get someone in executive escalations to assist you.

you can also post a public complaint at http://www.bbb.org and another at the http://www.fcc.gov on consumer complaints link.

0 Likes
Reply
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try contacting them on twitter @verizonsupport

I don't believe items such as vociemail fall under the purview of your PSC.

0 Likes
Reply
jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

Try contacting them on twitter @verizonsupport

I don't believe items such as vociemail fall under the purview of your PSC.


Its phone service. Which is regulated by the PSC.

voicemail is iffy, but is part of the phone system and assistance was not given to fix the issue.

0 Likes
Reply
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

They only cover basic phone service.

Anything else (like VM, caller id, call waiting, etc) are not regulated.

0 Likes
Reply
jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

They only cover basic phone service.

Anything else (like VM, caller id, call waiting, etc) are not regulated.


Like i said iffy. But a complaint will get verizon executive escalations. Which may help this customer.

0 Likes
Reply