how do I block calls with Anonymous or Private or Unavailable as the caller ID phone number
BobTheTechGuy1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have Verizon Digital Voice which includes Anonymous Call Rejection.  I have enabled global anonymous call rejection.  However, the telemarketers have gotten sly by modifying the caller ID string that gets sent to my phone.  It is not really anonymous.  However, it does not include an actual phone number.  Rather, they are using alphabetic strings in the phone number field which says 'Anonymous' or 'Private' or 'Unavailable'.  I have tried entering these strings into the phone number field of the ACR phone feature settings.  However, it will allow only numeric strings in that field.  How do I stop these nusiance calls from continuing?  I have been on the 'Do Not Call' list for years, but these telemarketers ignore it, and without a phone number, I cannot report them.  It's really gotten terrible lately.  I hope that Verizon can HELP!!!!!

0 Likes
48 Replies
bobmagnum

I have been recieving calls that display an invalid caller ID. The seem to be missing the last digit.  The call blocker and even theDNC list are useless as they want you to enter a valid number .  ANy ideas on how to stop this?

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

You might try a Google search for nomorobo. It is a service for blocking anonymous calls.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes
reeve1

It's become a real joke. Verizon doesn't want to fix it because it will cost them money to make changes to the switch. If someone would pull out the CCITT Specifications you can find that any calls that spoof the ANI or look like I'm calling myself should not be allowed to pass through the switch to the subscriber. No call should also cause problems with the operation or ability of the caller id device to report and record call data. The call should be given a treatment, such as reorder tone, an annoucement or some other block without even ringing the subscriber's line. The trick where they call you with your own phone number even causes caller ID equipment, their displays and call logging ability to fail, even on the device provided by Verizon for this purpose. It doesn't even show the call came in. This is not proper function and operation of the switching network and network elements.

Verizon used to offer a feature package up until around 2005 timeframe that did block Unavailable/Unavailable calls. This was provided by a 3rd party at the time. I know this because I am disabled and was plagued by these calls at home all day long and had them activate it. Something happened shortly after 2005/2006 that caused Verizon to stop offering this feature package and it opened a flood gate of harassing calls. Verizon hasn't lifted a finger to do anything to help replace those lost features since. They don't care!

I left Verizon in September 2014 after 30 years with GTE/Verizon because of this and other service effecting issues and over-simplistic and ineffective solutions they offered, like blocking port 25 to stop SPAM (What a laugh, all it does is block me from helping to stop the SPAM myself). My SPAM increased when they did this. A week later they convinced me to bring my internet and TV account back. But, when I see threads that have continued for 4 or 5 years unresolved, Verizon has left customers to help themselves and could care less to offer any help, and I'm experiencing some of the same problems I had before I left.

Before I left, I spent 4 months on this and other issues. I even went to the Verizon Fraud dept. trying to resolve this because the calls went from IRS Scam and harassing to actual life threats. The only help I got from "Jody" in the Verizon Fraud Department was to ask, "Why do you let these calls bother you?" If you get transferred to her, just hang up. You will thank me later. I asked that someone in Verizon do something to report this horrid woman and again, nothing.

The best thing you can do is to do what I'm about to do again after being back for only 2 months... LEAVE!! That is the only thing they will understand. When enough people leave, maybe they will address issues that have gone unaddressed and swept under the carpet for at least 8+ years.  

Meanwhile, find someone that cares and will help!  Moving my land line to a smart phone was the best thing I could do. Now I can control calls coming in and have a number of free apps to choose from that give me more control.... I can even put on a whitelist that allows numbers. Only those numbers can call me. Anything else doesn't even ring my phone. I can look at the call log later, but don't have to be interrupted any more. No thanks from Verizon!  I also pay about $50 less for my triple play services now with my phone on a separate service as a cell phone. Much cheaper and I have much more flexibility... if I can only stop playing Clash of Clans and Boom Beach on the dang phone now.  It's Amazing!

0 Likes
Lainer

I do not believe I have that function on my account...but have a similar problem.  "Kevin from the house washing business" with a five minute voicemail - calls me weekly under the "private" ID and I'd love to block this call.  Were you able to block your private calls?  Thanks.

0 Likes
Earla

I was wondering the same thing.  Get a dial tone on your phone, then dial *77  or 1177.  wait for the message.  I hope that helps. Im still looking fot the other codes. 

0 Likes
peggylou2

I have been receiving the same robo calls over and over , how do i stop them? peggylou

0 Likes
NetSurfer

"I have Verizon Digital Voice which includes Anonymous Call Rejection.  I have enabled global anonymous call rejection.  However, the telemarketers have gotten sly by modifying the caller ID string that gets sent to my phone.  It is not really anonymous.  However, it does not include an actual phone number.  Rather, they are using alphabetic strings in the phone number field which says 'Anonymous' or 'Private' or 'Unavailable'.  I have tried entering these strings into the phone number field of the ACR phone feature settings.  However, it will allow only numeric strings in that field.  How do I stop these nusiance calls from continuing? "

I have the same problem with calls getting through ACR, the Caller ID is "Unavailable" and Tel number is listed as "Out of Area".  How can I block these calls? 

0 Likes
RALPHZ1

I,too,have been having this problem for weeks and can't seem to stop them. It started with calls from a 876 area code that was from Jamaica, people saying I won a 2million dollar prize and a car. Then the Private, Unknown, Anonymous calls kept coming, all about similar or slightly changed senerios. I have an answering machine so I don't talk with anyone anymore, and don't answer anymore, but these calls just won't stop.

I need to find a way to block the private, unknown, anonymous and even international calls but don't know how. Perhaps Anthony V can help me too. I don't want to have to change my number. I have FIOS for everything at home.

If anyone knows what to do or has any ideas please let me know. I can't believe that I have no control over this. Thanks,

Ralph

0 Likes
janetlee586
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is just amazing that Verizon cannot or will not do anything to help alleviate this problem.  Think they are all in cahoots.  Call starting with 123 345 6789 or all zeros.  We got to take a stand and demand some action from someone.  I have been on the no cal list for Yeats and it does nothing now to stop these call.  One solicitor told me there was no call list.  Think I believe him.   

MrMrK
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon has both operational and technological limitations that need to addressed at the most senior levels. Your local Customer Service Representatives are constrained by the mediocre tools made available to them.

If you want your complaint heard I recommend a clearly written letter - with dates and times and other relevant detail

I have taken my complaints one step farther - As a customer if I pay a premium service price, but receive considerably less, it's my responsibility to let someone know.

Because this business is very competitive, as a STOCKHOLDER I must let the boss know when service is unacceptable - in fact, ALL THE BOSSES NEED TO KNOW.

Take the time to write a letter or two!!

mike19691
Contributor - Level 1

Do Not Disturb is also a good option in this case. With this feature you pick a list of phone numbers you want to be able to reach you (friends, family, etc.) and all other callers not on your list are blocked from reaching you. You can either choose to have them get a recorded message or to send them directly to voice mail. In either case you phone will not ring for the unwanted callers.

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

I can see how that would be really annoying. I have sent you a private message on the matter.

0 Likes
larliz

I know this thread is old but someone is calling our home phone every night around 1:30 and about 4 times after that. One right after the other. The call usually comes through as "unavailable". How can I block this from happening? VERY frustrating. Please help.

0 Likes
DonaldTrump1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Tony, 

I'm glad you were able to assist the previous poster.  However, many of us have the same problem also.  I am one of those people.  

Could you either private email me, or in the alternative, post your solution here?  On another note, as you know, Verizon gives us the ability to individually block 10 phone numbers.  I've got 8 slots already filled.  Is there any way to add more than the 10 numbers?

(My main issue though, is the telemarketers who refuse to use the "Do Not Call" list, and somehow obsure their numbers - but are able to get through the Anonymous Block.  Please advise how to stop THOSE calls.)

Thanks!

0 Likes
poneal0121

Anthony_VZ

Please provide me with the alternative that you sent to the other person.

0 Likes
Alby2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Step 1:  Get a Google Voice Number

Step 2:  Forward your home phone to your Google Voice Number

Step 3:  Set settings to filter all calls, even the anonymous ones. (ie: Tag Unknown calls as spam)

Step 4:  Forward those calls which pass muster to your Cellfone or another number.

Net Result:  Weed out the bill collectors, solictors, ex's, etc...

lemick
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm intertested in this same subject.  In this technical world it seems it would be an easy task for someone with a few technical smarts to develope a program that would enable one to block all such calls; unavailable, unknown number, phony number,etc.

Maybe this is asking too too much of the Verizon group!!!  

Ever since I switched to Verizon digital I'm barraged with such calls.  My next move is to disable my Verizon line and go completely to T Mobile wireless with which I do not have this problem.

DonaldTrump1
Enthusiast - Level 2

After reading all the previous replies to this issue as well as your own, I think I agree with you.

Cable/Fiber TV is getting too costly, so people are switching to Internet only video for their entertainment - like Netflix or Amazon Prime.  Landline phones were getting too costly, so people switched to Digital.

Now, despite the government's "Do Not Call" list, we're all getting calls we don't want.  I had this issue with my ATT cell phone, and Apple (of all people) came to my aid with iOS 7 where I can block ANY call.  Previously, ATT wanted $4.99 A MONTH for me to block calls! 

So now I’m also considering going to cell phone only.  So many younger people do already.  The phone companies are forcing us, since they provide such POOR service.

Another alternative is Google Voice.  I’ve begun to give that number out to anyone who asks for my number.  The service is FREE, Google forwards calls to ANY or ALL of my phones – depending on the settings I’ve chosen for that individual number. 

But the BEST THING is this: if I get harassing calls from ANY number, I can select that number, and have Google return a “number not in service” message.  Once the robo callers get this message, they usually delete the number, since they don’t want to waste time calling dead numbers.  You can sign up at www.google.com/voice

0 Likes
DonaldTrump1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm beginning to think Anthony_VZ is dead, or doesn’t work for Verizon anymore, and that Verizon doesn’t have any other employees monitoring this posting board.

Anthony_VZ first replied on 4/28/2011, and it seems that it's the LAST time a Verizon employee has responded to this issue.

It's sad to see a company rest on its laurels, and think they don't need to service the customers who are paying their wages and contributing to the value of the company stock.

ACT QUICKLY VERIZON!  The time is nigh, and companies like Google are breathing down your proverbial necks with solutions that don't cost anyone any money!  Google Voice is becoming more popular than ever, and places like Kansas City are enjoying the benefits of FREE 5 Mbps Internet or speeds of 1,000 Mbps that blow FiOS out of the water for $70 a month. 

Your poor service will drive existing customers away, and as your Sales Department knows, it’s easier to KEEP existing customers than to sign up new ones to replace the ones that you’ve lost to poor service!

0 Likes