2 Fios Routers
Fred_Flinstone

Disclaimer: I know that this is a comon question, but none of the others have been healpful

I am moving in with my Grandmother soon.  She has Fios already set up with one router (pluged into coax).  The router is in her bedroom and therefore cannot be conected to anything via ethernet without drilling holes in the floor/wall/ceiling.  We cannot unplug (or therefore move) the router to a better location.  The office has a coax port in the wall.  I have a Fios router from my dad's house that he no longer needs.  Can I plug my dad's router into the coax in the office and have it give me internet through ethernet?  This would be without any further setup of the secondary router.  If not, can I do this without unpluging the already set up router, with some setup of the new router?

Thank you in advance for any (helpful) answers. 

0 Likes
20 Replies
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes but there will be some configuration that is required. Login to your Dad’s router at 192.168.1.1 and go to My Network/Network Connections/ Network Home/Office settings and change the IP Address to something of than 192.168.1.1 like 192.168.1.99 for example. Then scroll down to IP Address Distribution and set to Disabled and click Apply. 

Fred_Flinstone

How do I log in to my dad's router?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Fred_Flinstone wrote:

How do I log in to my dad's router?


Edg1 told you how to do it.

from your web browser connected to your fathers network in the url bar type.

192.168.1.1 there will be a login to the router page. You will need your fathers logon name and password to access his router.

after logged in if your father gives permission to do so follow the other posters instructions.

Fred_Flinstone

I assume I need to plug my Dad's router into coax and plug my computer into my Dad's router, yes?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Fred_Flinstone wrote:

I assume I need to plug my Dad's router into coax and plug my computer into my Dad's router, yes?


If the coaxial is live at that wall unit, you can do it. However you need a computer to login to your fathers router not another router. Once the ip address is changed on your primary router you then fire up your router (fathers) and it should get an ip address.

the fastest way to connect to your grandmothers router/service is use wifi. Much simplier. However you could get a network extender from netgear or other vendor. Once paired with the router you can plug it into a wall socket to use it either via wifi or ethernet. 

Like this here. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-universal-wi-fi-range-extender-with-ethernet-port-white/2733324...

They come more expensive but this should work. Follow the directions in the box and you will be ok.

Fred_Flinstone

@jonjones wrote:


If the coaxial is live at that wall unit, you can do it. However you need a computer to login to your fathers router not another router. Once the ip address is changed on your {primary router} you then fire up your router (fathers) and it should get an ip address.


I assume that my primary router is my grandmother's.  Why am I changing it's IP address.  If the primary router is not my grandmother's router, what is, and why am I changing it's IP address. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Fred_Flinstone wrote:

@jonjones wrote:


If the coaxial is live at that wall unit, you can do it. However you need a computer to login to your fathers router not another router. Once the ip address is changed on your {primary router} you then fire up your router (fathers) and it should get an ip address.


I assume that my primary router is my grandmother's.  Why am I changing it's IP address.  If the primary router is not my grandmother's router, what is, and why am I changing it's IP address. 


The primary(grandmother’s) router you leave as it is configured. Nothing to change in the primary. The IP change will be in your router. The default IP of a router is typically 192.168.1.1 so the other router can’t have the same address or also give out IPs. That is why you have to disable the DHCP server. 

Take your router to a laptop or pc and connect it to the LAN(yellow) port. Open up your browser and type 192.168.1.1 or myfiosgatway.com login and go to My Network/Network Connections/ Network (Home/Office)/ Settings and scroll down and change the IP to 192.168.1.X and scroll down a little further and disable IP Address Distribution. Click Apply. The connect the coax and reboot your pc and you should be online. 

Once this is done you will no longer be able to use 192.168.1.1 or myfiosgatway.com to access your router. You will have to type the IP the you change it to like 192.168.1.99 for example. 

Fred_Flinstone

Will any coax cable work?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Fred_Flinstone wrote:

Will any coax cable work?


You will typically find RG59 and RG6 in houses, but you should really use RG6.

Fred_Flinstone

What is the differance?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Fred_Flinstone wrote:

What is the differance?


RG59 has a smaller conductor and the signal will degrade more than RG6 over the same distance. RG59 isn’t used anymore. Everything installed today is RG6. If you need to purchase cable you want to get 75 Ohm tri or quad shield RG6. 

Fred_Flinstone

Thank you, I went out an bought a 50' Quad shield RG6 coaxial cable from Lowe's, but, it turns out, I'm an idiot:

on 8/26/2019 at 1:42 PM, @Fred_Flinstone wrote:

[My Grandmother] has Fios already set up with one router (plugged into coax).


 But she doesn't.  She has it plugged into WAN Ethernet, not WAN coax.  What tricked me was that the TVs are plugged into LAN coax so they can get signal.  WAN Ethernet goes through a whole in the floor (which they don't know about) and into the drop ceiling of the basement   which is affixed very poorly, and so cannot be accessed.  Is there some way to   through coax, which runs through the house   use my dad's router as a bridge (or whatever the correct terminology would be) to get a wired connection in the office on the second floor?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Fred_Flinstone wrote:

Thank you, I went out an bought a 50' Quad shield RG6 coaxial cable from Lowe's, but, it turns out, I'm an idiot:

on 8/26/2019 at 1:42 PM, @Fred_Flinstone wrote:

[My Grandmother] has Fios already set up with one router (plugged into coax).


 But she doesn't.  She has it plugged into WAN Ethernet, not WAN coax.  What tricked me was that the TVs are plugged into LAN coax so they can get signal.  WAN Ethernet goes through a whole in the floor (which they don't know about) and into the drop ceiling of the basement   which is affixed very poorly, and so cannot be accessed.  Is there some way to   through coax, which runs through the house   use my dad's router as a bridge (or whatever the correct terminology would be) to get a wired connection in the office on the second floor?


You can still use your dad's router as a bridge. The coax doesn't need to connect directly to the other router it just needs to be connected to the cable splitter. The coax in the office is probably already connected to the main splitter. 

0 Likes
Fred_Flinstone

@Edg1 wrote:
The coax doesn't need to connect directly to the other router it just needs to be connected to the cable splitter. The coax in the office is probably already connected to the main splitter. 

 1. What is the "Main Splitter"?

2. Do Both routers need to be connected to it?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Fred_Flinstone wrote:

@Edg1 wrote:
The coax doesn't need to connect directly to the other router it just needs to be connected to the cable splitter. The coax in the office is probably already connected to the main splitter. 

 1. What is the "Main Splitter"?

2. Do Both routers need to be connected to it?


In your first post you said your Grandmother’s router is connected via coax in her room. You want to connect your Dad’s router in the office with the coax jack. Once you connect Dad’s router to the office jack the Coax LAN light on back of the router should light up. If it does and you made the changes to the router then you should be online. 

0 Likes
Fred_Flinstone

1. My first post was wrong as I stated in post 14. 

2. In my first post I didn't differentiate between LAN and WAN, whereas in post 14, I did. 

3. To my knowledge, the coaxial cables running through the house are connected to my grandmother's router via LAN coax. 

4. When I connect my dad's router to the coaxial cables running through the house, no more lights light up than when I plug it into the outlet.  These lights are:

a. Power

b. Wireles

5. You did not answer my question from post 16, please do so I can use better terminology and be more informed and informative. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Fred_Flinstone wrote:

1. My first post was wrong as I stated in post 14. 

2. In my first post I didn't differentiate between LAN and WAN, whereas in post 14, I did. 

3. To my knowledge, the coaxial cables running through the house are connected to my grandmother's router via LAN coax. 

4. When I connect my dad's router to the coaxial cables running through the house, no more lights light up than when I plug it into the outlet.  These lights are:

a. Power

b. Wireles

5. You did not answer my question from post 16, please do so I can use better terminology and be more informed and informative. 



Wherever the ONT is there will be a coax feed going to a cable splitter. All the cable that runs throughout the house will connect here. There can be one or multiple splitters in the house depending on the situation. The coax jack in the office needs to be connected to one of these splitters.

The coax connected to your Grandmother's router provides a MoCA LAN to the set-tops boxes. When you connect your G1100 to the office coax you will have a red globe and wireless light and on the back the Coax LAN light should light up. Just make sure it is configured the way we talked about in previous posts. Preferably before you connect it to the coax jack. It the Coax LAN light doesn't come on then that coax jack isn't connected to the cable splitter. 

0 Likes
Fred_Flinstone

I am sorry, but I don't know what many of the terms you used mean.   These are:

ONT

MoCA LAN

G1100

Please clarify what these are. 

I have no "[R]ed globe light" anywhere on my dad's router, and there are no lights, on or off on the back of it.  The lights on the front are:

Power (on)

WAN Ethernet (off)

WAN coax (off)

Internet (off)

LAN Ethernet 1, 2, 3, 4 (all off)

LAN coax (off)

USB 1 and 2 (both off)

Wireless (on)

Again, there are No Lights on the back. 

I did do all of the things you said in post 7, but this is still the state of things after coax is plugged in. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Fred_Flinstone wrote:

I am sorry, but I don't know what many of the terms you used mean.   These are:

ONT

MoCA LAN

G1100

Please clarify what these are. 

I have no "[R]ed globe light" anywhere on my dad's router, and there are no lights, on or off on the back of it.  The lights on the front are:

Power (on)

WAN Ethernet (off)

WAN coax (off)

Internet (off)

LAN Ethernet 1, 2, 3, 4 (all off)

LAN coax (off)

USB 1 and 2 (both off)

Wireless (on)

Again, there are No Lights on the back. 

I did do all of the things you said in post 7, but this is still the state of things after coax is plugged in. 


ONT is the Optical Network Terminal. The is the main unit where the fiber optic cable from the street connects. This will typically be on the outside wall, basement, or utility area in the house.  

MoCA is the way the set-top boxes(STBs) communicate with the router over the coax wiring to get an IP address so the TV Guide and Video On Demand works. This is MoCA LAN(Local area network). The LAN is the internal network. The router gives out local IP address like 192.168.1.x to devices on your network like STBs, smartphones, and computers. 

Verizon can provide internet from the ONT to router using MoCA WAN(Wide area network), but in this situation we are only dealing with the MoCA LAN. 

The G1100 is the FiOS Quantum Gateway Router. I don’t know why but I just assumed the routers we were dealing with were G1100. From your description it sounds like you have the Actiontec Rev I. The lights that should be on are Power, LAN Coax, and Wireless.  It is possible that the coax in the office is not connected to a splitter which is why the MoCA LAN light is not coming on. One way to check is you can take an STB from another room and connected in the office to see if the TV comes up. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

The other posters answer was correct.

i said to your fathers router. Not your grandmothers.

i said the easier way was to use an extender off your grandmothers router.

but alls well that ends well.