A few questions about getting DSL
ntb1985

Hi, my home has been out of range for DSL and we've been patiently waiting for years for the day to come when it's available, but it doesnt look like it'll be happening soon. We have a small business we run out of the house and have been paying a fortune a month for those mobile cellular internet cards (a little faster than dial-up) and figured we'd save money eventually if we could just pay verizon engineers to run another base station or repeater to extend the line to reach us.

My question is would this even be possible, and if so how much do you think it would cost, just an estimate, our neighbors about a mile away (through the power lines) have it. We've pretty much exhausted all other options and need high speed for our growing business.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: A few questions about getting DSL
westom
Contributor - Level 1

@ntb1985 wrote:

Hi, my home has been out of range for DSL and we've been patiently waiting for years for the day to come when it's available, but it doesnt look like it'll be happening soon.

Many years ago, engineers finally got the attention of top management.  3G cell phone now do more than copper land lines.  That created enough panic among bean counters to finally let them install FIOS.  Copper is now dying.  Anything in copper that might become available is only because it always existed.  Your only upgrade is now FIOS.

Meanwhile, competition also exists.  For example, internet via Direct TV.  Also coming is Wi-Max.  Intel has been at this for about ten years.  So it should be coming soon.  Wi-Max is WiFi but in a wider radius.  Whereas WiFi may be 300 feet; Wi-Max is in the entire mobile phone cell.

Typical reason for no DSL is a wire that is too long.  However some better radio transceivers (DSL is radio wave communication) have made a minor increase in DSL's range.  Have you checked the availability of that new option?