Actiontec MI424WR (GigE) Router
gigabit
Enthusiast - Level 3

I want to upgrade to this as my MI424WR 10/100 is too slow to support my NAS device. Does anyone know how to get one thru Verizon? I called Actiontec directly and they told me only Verizon can sell them. No luck going thru the normal channels @  Verizon so far.

1 Solution
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

tns is correct.  The Actiontec rev. G  (gig-E) router is only available to 150/35 customer.

The best solution is to buy a gig-E switch and connect all your devices to it.

View solution in original post

28 Replies
tns
Master - Level 2

Currently you can only get one if you subcribe to the 150/35 (or higher) tiers.  They have been hinting that might change some time in the future.

lorenkjr11

I have the revision F. of the MI424WR Fios router on my 35/35 plan.  The man who set it up knew my devices were wireless yet, he set it up using wep.  It was quite a while before I finally figured out why the wireless was so slow.  Finally set it up for wpa2 and performance n.  Works much better now.  I do miss the fact that the router does not have gigabyte ethernet ports but, for a different reason than most would.  Or then again maybe not.  I have a couple of gigabyte networks disks and I would like to get faster performance out of them, if that ever becomes possible.  

Since I have the fios tv, telephones, and internet; I am not sure how I could benefit by connecting someone elses router to the my present one and get the added speed I desire.  Explanations?  I am all ears.  One thought I had does intrigue me but, still not sure how it would work out.  What would happen if I plugged an Airport Extreme into my Mac along with a gigabyte hub or switch.  That I assume would keep the two network drives going through the router, correct?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

With your network setup, there are plenty of ways we could accomplish what you're looking to do. If you wished to keep the FiOS router as your primary router, you can simply hang switches and other routers (disabling DHCP and NAT functions, of course!) off of the Ethernet ports on the FiOS router to accomplish what you'd like to do. If you wanted to replace the FiOS router entirely, you could use it as nothing more than an Access Point + Switch + MoCa Bridge, but there are a few downsides to that. Again, it's up to how you wish to do things. So essentially, you've got...

ONT --> FiOS router --> Switches/Apple Airport Extreme/Devices --> Devices

OR

ONT --> Your own router --> Devices/Switches/FiOS Router --> Devices

Perhaps this FAQ will help you out a bit more, rather than my jumbled and broad thoughts ๐Ÿ™‚

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#16077

Oh and yes, as you've found out WPA2 is required for Wireless N to work. WEP and WPA cannot be used what so ever.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

tns is correct.  The Actiontec rev. G  (gig-E) router is only available to 150/35 customer.

The best solution is to buy a gig-E switch and connect all your devices to it.

gigabit
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thx, but that makes zero sense. They have the product but are not willing to provide it to customers? I'm not happy about that and will tell them so.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@gigabit wrote:

Thx, but that makes zero sense.

As has been discussed in several other threads, the rationale is that VZ provides you with a router that is adequate to support your provisioned WAN speeds (25/25, 35/35, etc).  They are under no obligation to provide you with a more expensive router because of what you have connected to your LAN.  The rev. G has gig-E ports because that is required to support the 150 Mbps WAN speed.

gigabit
Enthusiast - Level 3

Understood. I don't expect VZ to provide me w/ an "upgrade" for free. i would be more than happy to buy the router from them. What I'm reacting to is the fact that they refuse to make it available to their "low speed" customers. BTW, I have already daisy-chained a switch to handle my NAS, but it's a clutter-fest. 

gigabit
Enthusiast - Level 3

For anyone who's interested, I did the run-around with VZ. They have the router, but are unwilling to release it absent a speed upgrade, as my elders and betters had indicated would be the case. I find this all very frustrating and the opposite of customer friendly. Kinda reminds me of Time Warner...Smiley Mad

morlock1
Enthusiast - Level 1
If you need Gb ethernet buy a new switch and uplink to the supplied router. or if you want wireless-N too buy a new router that supports both and configure it for bridge mode then plug the wan port into one of the switch ports on the supplied router. Usually routers were not supplied, but it must simplify support to have only a few devices to deal with.
gigabit
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thx for the thought. I have already daisy-chained a gigabit router to the supplied MI424WR 100/10 router and turned off DHCP, so it's effectively a switch. I have my NAS device plugged into the switch, so I have achieved the objective, but I thought VZ might be reasonable and let me buy their router and eliminate my clutter. I was wrong.

gigabit
Enthusiast - Level 3

As a final act in my commitment to follow this trail to the end, I called the NYC VZ Landline store. They have the referenced router, but will not sell or exchange it.

Davids2443

Don't understand the problem.  I went to the Verizon FIOS store and purchased the new Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I, yesterday.  $114.00 + tax.  No questions asked?  I do have a question though, I haven't set it up yet, can't remember if I have to do anything different then usual?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Davids2443 wrote:

Don't understand the problem.  I went to the Verizon FIOS store and purchased the new Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I, yesterday.  $114.00 + tax.  No questions asked?  I do have a question though, I haven't set it up yet, can't remember if I have to do anything different then usual?

This is sort of an "It Depends" answer. In most cases if you disconnect your old router and wait a few hours before connecting and turning on the new one, you can pretty much get yourself up and running. Other times, it's call Verizon, have them break the DHCP lease and off you go. On older connections that use PPPoE, you might just need to set up the router manually with your login information.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@Smith6612 wrote:

@Davids2443 wrote:

This is sort of an "It Depends" answer. In most cases if you disconnect your old router and wait a few hours before connecting and turning on the new one, you can pretty much get yourself up and running. Other times, it's call Verizon, have them break the DHCP lease and off you go. On older connections that use PPPoE, you might just need to set up the router manually with your login information.

This is a great option if you want to avoid the 2 hour wait or the call to verizon

0 Likes
tc607

I to did the VZ phone enduro yesterday.   But in my wandering around the site I found where you can order the router.

I agree with above that they will not provide one except with high $$ plan.  The router costs aby $80. and I ordered.

I also ordered a STB remote extension cable for my STB.

Page is:

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/ShowCart

0 Likes
tsh_138
Enthusiast - Level 2

While the versions of the MI424WR router prior to Rev. G may be able to support the throughput of the FiOS connection they cannot support high throughput for wireless applications inside the home.  The 802.11n spec adds MIMO, supports both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, and has a number of other improvements which make it a measured improvement over 802.11g.  For this simple reason Verizon should provide routers that support 802.11n to all FiOS customers.

0 Likes
ffrcoupe
Enthusiast - Level 3

@tsh138 wrote:

While the versions of the MI424WR router prior to Rev. G may be able to support the throughput of the FiOS connection they cannot support high throughput for wireless applications inside the home.  The 802.11n spec adds MIMO, supports both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, and has a number of other improvements which make it a measured improvement over 802.11g.  For this simple reason Verizon should provide routers that support 802.11n to all FiOS customers.

Agreed, to those who request it. I would say about 75% or more of the customers wouldn't know the difference.

bobbanks
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think you can buy the GigE router outright from here: https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts

morrisjl

Of course it makes sense. Verizon has a product, the newest Gig E + wireless N router, that might incentivize folks to upgrade to a more expensive data plan. 

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@morrisjl wrote:

Of course it makes sense. Verizon has a product, the newest Gig E + wireless N router, that might incentivize folks to upgrade to a more expensive data plan. 

I doubt anyone is going to order the very expensive 150/35 plan just to get the router.

There are better third-party routers available.