All Apple updates time out. But through a VPN, it's fine!
getOffMyTV
Enthusiast - Level 1

Something might be wrong with Verizon Fios in the NYC area. Since last night, any download from Apple times out. Also http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ reports a speed of less than 1Mbps. Connected to a VPN and everything worked normally. Verizon support guy said nothing was wrong, but someone please tell me why this is happening?

thanks

0 Likes
44 Replies
Hubrisnxs
Legend

FYI, saw this in another forum, it might help those that tried the previously listed DNS's

Great advice. Google DNS server did not work for me. Used the following link:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/a/free-public-dns-servers.htm

Chose Level3 DNS (209.244.0.3). Downloaded in minutes (instead of hours)

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
That would be a fun experiment. If you child get their dns and try it. That could point to a peering issue. Also they did don't put it in the router. Instead put it in your device (laptop ipad etc)
0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

What difference does it make if I put the DNS server in the device, iPad, etc., or in the router, if the device defaults to 192.168.1.1 to get DNS service from its wifi connection?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

They said they were testing and it wasn't passing through the new dns to the devices from the router.  I thought it was them misinterpreting what they were seeing because they naturally see the default gateway, but they said there was a difference when they put it in the device direct.  I think it's noted on that BBR link I posted earlier.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

They said they were testing and it wasn't passing through the new dns to the devices from the router.  I thought it was them misinterpreting what they were seeing because they naturally see the default gateway, but they said there was a difference when they put it in the device direct.  I think it's noted on that BBR link I posted earlier.

Well, I tried Google's DNS directly in the iPad in question and still no joy.

I may walk down the street and try our neighbor's cable connection, or I may just wait a few days until the iOS 8 / iPhone 6 storm calms down and update my wife's iPad then. Smiley Wink

0 Likes
misaro

@eljefe wrote:

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Well, I tried Google's DNS directly in the iPad in question and still no joy.

I may walk down the street and try our neighbor's cable connection, or I may just wait a few days until the iOS 8 / iPhone 6 storm calms down and update my wife's iPad then. Smiley Wink

I too had problems updating my phone (~20 KB/s) and after changing DNS on both router and device with no luck, decided to head to my GF's apartment where it updated in less than 30 minutes. Irritating.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just completed 2 iPhones and my iPad all now running iOS 8.0

Took about half an hour for all.

Just changed my router DNS server to openDNS yesterday   208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I'm the first to say you can't argue with success so I'm glad that worked for you.  However, using openDNS, or Google DNS, etc. etc., made no difference here.

Maybe it depends on your geographic location, or some other mystery of the universe.  Changing DNS settings is worth a try for anyone having the problem we're discussing but I wouldn't bet the ranch it will help.

edit/update:  I went to do a little food shopping with my wife.  I took her iPad along and left it in the car in the supermarket's parking lot.  Before we went inside I connected the iPad to a guest wifi service there, a service that connects to our local cable provider rather than FiOS, and I started the iOS 8 update.  When we came back out, 15 or 20 minutes later, the download was complete.

This after trying unsuccessfully for several days, over and over and over, to complete the download at home with our FiOS service.

I hope this issue will be resolved soon, but until it is, if you're having trouble with Apple downloads, and you don't want to or can't use a VPN, try any other provider's service. 

And yes, I know we FiOS customers shouldn't have to put up with this and I hope something is going on behind the scenes to correct it.  In the mean time, at least I'm done with the Apple updates for now.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

That's what I am waiting for with my wife's too. 

That, and I am lazy.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Did you put them directly into the machine/device or in the router?  some people said they had to put them in the device

Also if those don't work also try level 3's and also open's

Level 3 is 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2  and open dns is 208.67.222.222   208.67.220.220

0 Likes
jimdwestboro
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've experienced the same problem here in Massachusetts.  At first I thought it was an Apple problem, but then I tried downloading iOS 8 via cellular and found it to be orders of magnitude faster than my FIOS 75/75 network despite speedtest showing full speed capability!  

I then tried downloading from Apple through my company's VPN on my home computer (same computer, same physical network as my FIOS setup) and was able to download iOS in about 8 minutes (about 7mb/sec) versus 11-12 kb/sec without the VPN.

This is outrageous for a supposedly high-speed network.  Does anyone from Verizon monitor this forum?  I'm reluctant to get involved with a level 1 support call on this, as it's clearly not a problem at my end.

0 Likes
getOffMyTV
Enthusiast - Level 1

When I first discovered a couple days ago, upon iOS 8 being released, I did a tier 1 chat with Verizon support, the guy "reset the main box" in our apartment, and then when that didnt do anything, he said that it MUST be Apple's fault. Typical tech support redirection **bleep**. Not his fault per se, but I work in IT and I know its too often the way things work.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Another advanced user found the bad Apple CDN's "blackholes" and posted the fix work around.

If you're relatively savvy you can try it.

he writes

This NANOG poster hit the nail on the head, Apple didn't buy enough or the right capacity into Verizon:

»permalink.gmane.org/gmane.org.op···g/124173

The good news is there are options... if your router supports static routing and blackholes, you can route 17.253.0.0/16 to the bit bucket there. Otherwise, in OSX you can do something like 'sudo route add 17.253.0.0/16 127.0.0.1' from the command prompt with the same results. (Of course this won't change how your iOS device fetches updates, only your mac.) The OS will fail back to other CDNs and the transfers will be fast.

Hopefully Apple will realize the mistake here and go back to using reliable CDNs like Akamai. Their in house one just isn't ready for prime time.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

It's happening because Apple's CDN in your area is getting taxed or it has a peering issue with a particular network.  You would have to run an MTR scan to find out if it has a peering issue like that, a regular traceroute will only give a smidgen of actual info.

most likely getting taxed, they sold 6 million new devices in the first 3 or 4 days and that isn't including any of their legacy customers trying to get the update too.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Yep...I understand that.  And yes, I tried Google, OpenDNS and Level 3, each entered directly into my Actiontec router.

It's still at least interesting that I run into the problem through FiOS, regardless of what DNS I use, but using at&t cellular data I didn't have the issue.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

It is frustrating.

I'm trying to update my wife's iPad to iOS 8 now.  I can't even get the download to start via my FiOS service and I don't have enough data left this month on my at&t cellular plan to use the same trick as I used on her iPhone.

I'm thinking about walking down the street and trying a neighbor's cable connection to see if that's any better.

0 Likes
getOffMyTV
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for posting everyone. At least I'm not alone. I've been pretty happy with Fios (compared to TWC) and this is the first time that I've had a major issue with the service. I'm just hope that I won't have to recover one of my Macs with Internet Recovery, VPN would not be an option in that case. Sure, there are always ways around a problem, but we shouldnt have to jump through hoops to access the data that we require.

I wonder is Verizon try to shake Apple down like they did Netflix?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You might be seeing a problem with the regional CDN. Apple uses their CDN as a primary means of distribution, with Akamai and Limelight being used as alternate sources.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I found a solution that worked for the iOS update.

With my iPhone 5s connected to an at&t LTE tower, I turned on the iPhone's personal hotspot.  I connected my wife's phone to mine via the personal hotspot and presto....the iOS 8 update completed in 9 minutes.

So it would seem there is a routing problem between Verizon's network and Apple's servers.  I didn't both to trace the route, but it seems very similar to the problems many have had with NetFlix, etc.

In the mean time, my better half's MacBook Pro is still downloading updates at ~25 kB/s.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I seem to be having a similar problem here.  Speedtest.net shows my normal 75+ mb/s download (and upload), but trying to install iOS 8 on my wife's iPhone, and some updates on her MacBook Pro, the download speeds are almost zero.

Yet I just updated iTunes on my PC and download speed was normal.  Smiley Frustrated

0 Likes
PearTree85

Yup, exactly the same problem here. Trying to download iOS8 from Manhattan and the download crawls - 10Kb/s. If I run it through a Chicago proxy it gets back up to around 2Mb/s (which may well be limited from the Apple side). 

Impacting all Apple downloads by the looks of it - I tried to update iTunes and it suffered the same fate. 

0 Likes