Brand new GT784WNV to Bridge Mode Successfully
cr006f
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just a heads up for anyone looking to put their GT784 to Bridge Mode and use their own router, I did it successfully yesterday and got good support from Verizon in the process.  

Background:

We moved to a new house in December and decided to give VZ DSL a try.  They set us up with the Actiontec modem and I put our Airport Extreme into Bridge mode.  We have had problems with the modem locking up (needing a manual power off/on reboot) about three times a week.  Also got IP conflicts occassionally.  Now we have the modem set up as Bridge Mode with the AE set up to handle wireless and router functions.

Steps:

1. Logged into modem at 192.168.1.1, prompted me to create a new password, which I did.
  2. There is a one-click Bridge Mode button - I didn't use that right off (see screenshots in References link below for an example of what this looked like).
  3. I disabled the wireless function on this screen:  http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Actiontec/GT784WNV/Wireless_802.1x.htm
  4. I changed the gateway for the modem to 192.168.99.1 as recommended on a few writeups
  5. I disabled DHCP in the modem.  Should not need to do this but was playing it safe.
  6. I enabled Bridge Mode in the modem (one-click button on main screen)
  7. I called VZ tech support to find out if our acct was set up DHCP or PPPoE.  It was set up DHCP so I don't need a username/password.
  8. I set up our AE with DHCP under Internet section and enabled DHCP and NAT under Network section.
  9. I set up DNS servers using OpenDNS (in the AE).  Pretty basic just plug the numbers in off this site: https://store.opendns.com/setup/#/
  10. Didn't have a connection, so I called VZ back and they ran a diagnostic.  While running, internet connection started working.  Rock 'n roll.  Not exactly clear what they did.  Not sure they knew.
  11. One error persisted on the AE - IPv6 not resolved or something.  I changed to "link-local" mode in the AE and that fixed it.  Appears VZ doesn't use IPv6 in our area yet.
  12. Everything is working fine so far.

Open problems:

1.  Last night I couldn't get into the modem at 192.168.99.1 after I put it to Bridge mode.  Have to mess around with it a little bit more I guess, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Links / references I used:

1. Our modem screens looked like these - I believe it is a new version of the firmware, compared to other screenshots I have seen.  Forgot to write the version down:

http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Actiontec/GT784WNV/

2.  Handy reference on how to reset the modem - I didn't need to use this but YMMV:

http://www.verizon.com/Support/Residential/Internet/HighSpeed/Networking/GT784WNV_AT/ATLAS6610.htm#

3.  Handy writeup from another forum that I referred to but didn't follow exactly:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27205081-modem-router-Putting-a-Actiontec-GT784WNV-into-Bridge-Mode

4.  Handy article on why to bridge mode:

http://taldar.wordpress.com/2009/07/14/actiontec-airport/

Good luck, hope this is useful!

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Brand new GT784WNV to Bridge Mode Successfully
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@VZCustomer3 wrote:

cr006f did you ever figure out this issue:

1.  Last night I couldn't get into the modem at 192.168.99.1 after I put it to Bridge mode.  Have to mess around with it a little bit more I guess, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I can also no longer login to my modem after putting it into bridge mode... does putting it in bridge mode change the username / password or something?

I know every single method to get into a modem while it is in bridge mode (not configured to handle a WAN IP).

a) what »DSLR User Teddy Boom (user number 1434918) said in another thread.

Summary: NIC gets disconnected from the RJ-45 WAN router, a static IP is setup on that NIC with-in the same subnet as the modem combo and NIC gets re-connected to the modem combo.

Or Just factory reset it & log in normally

And - summary: RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN and the modem combo's LAN are not in the same subnet, your computer must have two NICs (one of them must a wired NIC), the NIC that is connected to the modem combo is in the same subnet as the modem combo LAN IP.

---

#1 As long as you only need access to the router and the modem in bridge mode without disconnecting your computer from the RJ-45 WAN router:

a) Make sure that the RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN and the modem combo's LAN are not in the same subnet.

For example the RJ-45 router's IP LAN 192.168.1.1 (mask 255.255.255.0) and your modem combo LAN is 192.168.0.1 (mask 255.255.255.0)

b) Setup a Static WAN IP of the RJ-45 router so that is in the same subnet as the modem combo.

For example the RJ-45 router's LAN 192.168.1.1 (mask 255.255.255.0), your modem combo LAN is 192.168.0.1 (mask 255.255.255.0)., and your RJ-45 router's WAN 192.168.0.1 (mask 255.255.255.0)

c) Be strongly advised as long as the RJ-45 router's WAN IP is set to Static and is in the same subnet as the modem combo and this RJ-45 router is not a Dual WAN port router of any kind (RJ-45 WAN1 and RJ-45 WAN2, RJ-45 WAN and 4G/LTE, RJ-45 WAN and POTS dial-up, ETC..) you (and the computers that are behind this RJ-45 WAN port router) are not going to be able to access the Internet!

d) To get back online, you need to change the WAN setting back to what it was before you made it a Static IP with-in the same subnet as the modem combo.

Possible fix #2 (with access to both and online)

Using third party firmware (either with commands and then rebooting the router OR in the UI option of Route Modem IP field) on the router..

Note by commands and then rebooting the router, I mean - (Third party site) dd-wrt.com -> Community -> Wiki -> Tutorials (Basic and advanced configuration tasks for your router...

By UI option Route Modem IP, I mean with this..

While it is possible to do this with third party firmware, it is NOT limited/restricted to only third party firmare.

Possible fix #3 (with access to both and online) REF »Re: Access to modem combo while in bridge mode

Primary and secondary router's RJ-45 LAN IP in a different subnet than the modem's LAN IP, secondary router's LAN IP with-in the same subnet as the primary router's LAN IP, secondary router's WAN IP with-in the same subnet as the modem's LAN IP, secondary router's DHCP server disabled, and primary router use a static route in this format..

Subnet IP: (the subnet of your modem)
Mask: (the Subnet Mask of the primary and secondary router on the LAN)
Gateway: (the IP address of the secondary router on the LAN)

All of the options/possible fixes above that I have tested and I know that work, the options below I am not sure of.

Possible fix #4 (with access to both)

If I was on PPPoE, I have heard/read...

»[modem/router] How to access 6100G's interface while connected?

Note: How the OP started the thread.

Short summary since all of the info is not in only post..

RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN and the modem combo's LAN are not in the same subnet, RJ-45 WAN port router has WAN port connected to modem combo: as long as the PPPoE connection is down he/she is able to get into the modem combo.

Possible fix #5 (with access to both and online) The answer to the OP's question without adding more hardware (ex a hub/switch between modem combo and router), without loading DD-WRT/Tomato, without changing to Static IP with-in the same subnet (PC OR Router Level) - the post by wayjac (user #544732)

Direct Link: »Re: [modem/router] How to access 6100G's interface while connect

Short summary:

RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN IP with-in same subnet as the modem combo, RJ-45 WAN port of RJ-45 WAN port router connects to one of the free/not in use RJ-45 LAN ports of the RJ-45 WAN port router, and RJ-45 LAN port of modem combo connects to one of the free/not in use RJ-45 LAN ports of the RJ-45 WAN port router.

Note if that works: I would think it works for other connections that require a log-in.

Other examples of types of connections that require a log-in are: PPPoA, PPTP, L2TP, and Big Pond.

All of those examples, but not including PPPoA, are as shown at

http://support.dlink.com/emulators/ebr2310_revB/Basic_WAN.html

Also I heard/read (REF = »Re: Access to modem combo while in bridge mode ) that instead of two NAT routers, a Dual WAN port router will work.

Q: Is that true you ask what I was told?

A: Unless I convert a computer into acting as a a NAT router, I can not tell you because all of my RJ-45 WAN port NAT routers only have one WAN port.

--

Not much of an update to the list of methods (listed above) to get into a modem combo while it is in bridge mode other than:

With my RJ-45 WAN port router connected with it's WAN port to the LAN port of the cable modem and both devices are different LAN subnets - while I have the Route Modem IP option I can access the cable modem as normal (That was not possible on my DSL connection).

Now you have to understand that I am not a cable expert so I can not tell you if that is a cable thing or it is because of the brand (maybe also model) of the cable modem (ARRIS/SURFboard SB6141).

^^^

View solution in original post

MisterGreen1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just want to add my experience for the benefit of anyone else with a similar setup. Although the solution to my problem was somewhat different than it was for cr006f, I figured there may be other folks in the same boat who also need an alternative solution. cr006f's post was the most recent and relevant information I could find online regarding my problem. I think the end result turned out to be better for me than it was for cr006f, with fewer modifications to the modem settings and no residual issues.

I already had a Netgear WNDR3800 router that worked very well for our home network, but we were experiencing intermittent dropouts with our Internet service. Verizon sent us their Actiontec GT784WNV modem/router since the modem I had was not Verizon-issued equipment.

I installed the Actiontec and got all of our computers and phones connected to the Internet through it without any problems. However, my printer is not wireless, and I was unable to print anything with it plugged into the USB port on the Actiontec. After researching this online, I was dismayed to find that, unlike my Netgear router, the USB port on this Actiontec apparently has no network functionality. (So lame...I guess you can just power a USB device with it??) And that was pretty frustrating to find out after I had already spent a couple hours trying to diagnose what I thought was a networking problem. I also didn't have the functionality of Netgear's Genie program with the GT784WNV as my router.

So, with the understanding that I needed to set the GT784WNV up in Bridge Mode, the first thing I did was contact Verizon tech support to find out whether my account is set up DHCP or PPPoE. Turns out, in my case, it was PPPoE. When I told the Verizon tech what I was trying to do, he offered to walk me through the process. I figured if he could make it work, great; if not, I'd go back and try to follow cr006f's instructions. Also, I guess this might go without saying, but just to make sure it's clear for folks: I first connected my computer to one of the Ethernet ports on the GT784WNV since my objective was to turn off its WiFi capability.

Step 1 from the Verizon tech was to log in to the GT784WNV at 192.168.1.1. I had already setup a new admin password, so I used that and arrived at the Home page.

From here, the Verizon tech had me click on the Advanced Setup tab. Under "IP Addressing" on the left, I selected "WAN IP Settings." Section 1 on this page said "Select the ISP protocol below." The Verizon tech told me to select the "RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging" radio button, and then click the Apply button at the bottom. It took a minute for the settings to change, and then the Internet light on the GT784WNV went out.

Next, I turned on my Netgear router. I took the Ethernet cable running from my computer, unplugged it from the Actiontec, and plugged it into an Ethernet port on the Netgear router. Plugging into the Netgear router may have been uneccessary (since I probably could've proceeded via WiFi), but I figured a hardwire connection would eliminate any potential WiFi-related issues. I then connected the Netgear Ethernet port labeled "Internet" to one of the Ethernet ports (#1, but that shouldn't matter) on the Actiontec.

Very simple process up to this point -- no disabling anything or changing any gateway addresses or other settings like cr006f did. The Verizon tech said my Netgear router should now be connected to the Internet, but it wasn't. He ran a diagnostic test, but didn't find any problems. We logged back into the router (I now got Netgear's home page at the same 192.168.1.1 address above), but he was unable to suggest anything else. He told me since he didn't have the resources to assist with my Netgear router, I would have to contact Netgear. I clicked on the "Internet" button, and saw the first item under Internet Setup asked, "Does your Internet connection require a login?" "No" was selected, so I asked the Verizon tech if I should change that. He couldn't tell me -- he just said I would need to contact Netgear.

After we hung up, I thought I'd try selecting "Yes" on the Internet Setup page for Internet Connection login. Below that, Login and Password fields opened up. I just entered my username and password that I log in to my Verizon account with, changed the Connection Mode setting to "Always On," clicked the Apply button above, and after a minute for the settings to change -- voila -- I was online!!

All in all, it seems like the solution was pretty simple -- but without the Verizon tech being able to tell me what my particular router needed to make it work, I more or less had to stumble into it. Hopefully this might save someone else a little bit of stumbling around.

pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

The tech really misunderstood what you were trying to do, and ended up having you change your modem from PPPoE mode to DHCP, which does not work for most places.

In the future, when you log in to the router page at 192.168.1.1, there should be a tab on the side that says "Bridge Mode" - just click that and follow the directions.

0 Likes
cr006f
Enthusiast - Level 1

OK, further update to this saga.

Long story short, I don't think the process above is the correct one.

Just received a replacement GT784 as my original kept having to be rebooted, slowly got worse to where it would drop completeliy for about 10 minutes at a time, even when rebooted.  VZW, to their credit, confirmed problem was not on the line and sent me a new modem for free as a warranty exchange.

I got the new one set up, messed around with it as above and kept having problems so I reset it, called in and told them I wanted to set it to bridge mode.  After explaining why, they released my IP on their end, confirmed my account was on DHCP, instructed me to go into WAN settings on Advanced Setup page, change one setting (to transparent 1984 if I recall?) and then hit apply.  

They did NOT have me use the "Bridge Mode" button! 

Hope this is useful - just give them a call and they should be more than happy to help.

VZCustomer3

I can also no longer login to my modem after putting it into bridge mode... does putting it in bridge mode change the username / password or something?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@VZCustomer3 wrote:

I know every single method to get into a modem while it is in bridge mode (not configured to handle a WAN IP).

a) what »DSLR User Teddy Boom (user number 1434918) said in another thread.

Summary: NIC gets disconnected from the RJ-45 WAN router, a static IP is setup on that NIC with-in the same subnet as the modem combo and NIC gets re-connected to the modem combo.

Or Just factory reset it & log in normally

And - summary: RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN and the modem combo's LAN are not in the same subnet, your computer must have two NICs (one of them must a wired NIC), the NIC that is connected to the modem combo is in the same subnet as the modem combo LAN IP.

---

#1 As long as you only need access to the router and the modem in bridge mode without disconnecting your computer from the RJ-45 WAN router:

a) Make sure that the RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN and the modem combo's LAN are not in the same subnet.

For example the RJ-45 router's IP LAN 192.168.1.1 (mask 255.255.255.0) and your modem combo LAN is 192.168.0.1 (mask 255.255.255.0)

b) Setup a Static WAN IP of the RJ-45 router so that is in the same subnet as the modem combo.

For example the RJ-45 router's LAN 192.168.1.1 (mask 255.255.255.0), your modem combo LAN is 192.168.0.1 (mask 255.255.255.0)., and your RJ-45 router's WAN 192.168.0.1 (mask 255.255.255.0)

c) Be strongly advised as long as the RJ-45 router's WAN IP is set to Static and is in the same subnet as the modem combo and this RJ-45 router is not a Dual WAN port router of any kind (RJ-45 WAN1 and RJ-45 WAN2, RJ-45 WAN and 4G/LTE, RJ-45 WAN and POTS dial-up, ETC..) you (and the computers that are behind this RJ-45 WAN port router) are not going to be able to access the Internet!

d) To get back online, you need to change the WAN setting back to what it was before you made it a Static IP with-in the same subnet as the modem combo.

Possible fix #2 (with access to both and online)

Using third party firmware (either with commands and then rebooting the router OR in the UI option of Route Modem IP field) on the router..

Note by commands and then rebooting the router, I mean - (Third party site) dd-wrt.com -> Community -> Wiki -> Tutorials (Basic and advanced configuration tasks for your router...

By UI option Route Modem IP, I mean with this..

While it is possible to do this with third party firmware, it is NOT limited/restricted to only third party firmare.

Possible fix #3 (with access to both and online) REF »Re: Access to modem combo while in bridge mode

Primary and secondary router's RJ-45 LAN IP in a different subnet than the modem's LAN IP, secondary router's LAN IP with-in the same subnet as the primary router's LAN IP, secondary router's WAN IP with-in the same subnet as the modem's LAN IP, secondary router's DHCP server disabled, and primary router use a static route in this format..

Subnet IP: (the subnet of your modem)
Mask: (the Subnet Mask of the primary and secondary router on the LAN)
Gateway: (the IP address of the secondary router on the LAN)

All of the options/possible fixes above that I have tested and I know that work, the options below I am not sure of.

Possible fix #4 (with access to both)

If I was on PPPoE, I have heard/read...

»[modem/router] How to access 6100G's interface while connected?

Note: How the OP started the thread.

Short summary since all of the info is not in only post..

RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN and the modem combo's LAN are not in the same subnet, RJ-45 WAN port router has WAN port connected to modem combo: as long as the PPPoE connection is down he/she is able to get into the modem combo.

Possible fix #5 (with access to both and online) The answer to the OP's question without adding more hardware (ex a hub/switch between modem combo and router), without loading DD-WRT/Tomato, without changing to Static IP with-in the same subnet (PC OR Router Level) - the post by wayjac (user #544732)

Direct Link: »Re: [modem/router] How to access 6100G's interface while connect

Short summary:

RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN IP with-in same subnet as the modem combo, RJ-45 WAN port of RJ-45 WAN port router connects to one of the free/not in use RJ-45 LAN ports of the RJ-45 WAN port router, and RJ-45 LAN port of modem combo connects to one of the free/not in use RJ-45 LAN ports of the RJ-45 WAN port router.

Note if that works: I would think it works for other connections that require a log-in.

Other examples of types of connections that require a log-in are: PPPoA, PPTP, L2TP, and Big Pond.

All of those examples, but not including PPPoA, are as shown at

http://support.dlink.com/emulators/ebr2310_revB/Basic_WAN.html

Also I heard/read (REF = »Re: Access to modem combo while in bridge mode ) that instead of two NAT routers, a Dual WAN port router will work.

Q: Is that true you ask what I was told?

A: Unless I convert a computer into acting as a a NAT router, I can not tell you because all of my RJ-45 WAN port NAT routers only have one WAN port.

--

Not much of an update to the list of methods (listed above) to get into a modem combo while it is in bridge mode other than:

With my RJ-45 WAN port router connected with it's WAN port to the LAN port of the cable modem and both devices are different LAN subnets - while I have the Route Modem IP option I can access the cable modem as normal (That was not possible on my DSL connection).

Now you have to understand that I am not a cable expert so I can not tell you if that is a cable thing or it is because of the brand (maybe also model) of the cable modem (ARRIS/SURFboard SB6141).

^^^

Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sometimes bridge mode it not the best option.

Another option you can take advantage is instead on your third party router, enabling AP (Access Point) mode.

This essentailly makes your router only a wireless access point, all clients are sent to the modem/router combo allowing for connections to work as you’d expect. This also does not have the side effect of making one of those devices unreachable.